Author Topic: Hens  (Read 503 times)

Offline fergie Phil

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
Hens
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »
Only got two goldline hens now  used to have 20 blackrocks. 12 ducks 6 appleyards 6 Swedish blue
   Plus my old favorites 2 ebony geese. Alas the paddock I rented was sold for building, So I just have the two in the back garden
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:58:47 PM by Big Gee »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: hens
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
Only got two goldline hens now  used to have 20 blackrocks. 12 ducks 6 appleyards 6 Swedish blue
   Plus my old favorites 2 ebony geese. Alas the paddock I rented was sold for building, So I just have the two in the back garden

It sickens me the way building developers take over land that's used for growing food & keeping 'backyard' livestock on. It stinks. Aren't there enough 'brown' sites for them to mess around with & make their money on?

We had white embden geese on our 24 acre small holding - my mother's pride & joy they were - December was a tearful time for us as children!

Doesn't this sound take you back Phil?

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2EsaovRY43g?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:09:01 PM by Big Gee »

Offline fergie Phil

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »
    Thanks for that it brings memories flooding back, I don't know where I got ebony from put it down to a senior moment I meant embden. They made great watch dogs certainly frightened people when they run up towards you making that loud hissing sound  ThU32:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »
    Thanks for that it brings memories flooding back, I don't know where I got ebony from put it down to a senior moment I meant embden. They made great watch dogs certainly frightened people when they run up towards you making that loud hissing sound  ThU32:-)

Doesn't it just! Flashbacks for me of my childhood & the day the gander attacked me -  the shock gave me stammers for years!!! It would have killed me if my Dad didn't happen to come round the corner to rescue me. I was four at the time and the gander was protecting a brood of young goslings. Still happy memories & happy days. The sounds on that video clip brings it flooding back to me as well  HTT:-}
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:00:33 PM by Big Gee »