Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aphids  (Read 150 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Aphids
« on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »

I am experiencing a massive problem with aphids down on the plot at the moment. Mostly blackfly which are covering the broad beans, APS and globe artichokes. Other aphids are having ago at the Oca, and sweet potatoes. Having had a look at various sites for a suitable garlic spray I ended up with the following mix:

1 - whole bulb of garlic crushed and seeped in a pint of boiling water overnight.
1 - tablespoon of baby oil
1 - tablespoon of washing up liquid

At the moment I'm diluting it at 2 tablespoons to a pint of water and spraying the affected plants so will see how it works. The first plants were sprayed yesterday - fingers crossed!!

Hopefully this will do the trick but if anyone has any advice to offer on a better mix I would very much appreciate it!! 
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Aphids
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:57:46 PM »

That will work a treat - garlic kills everything - from microbes and viruses to humans & anything else living that comes in contact with the vile 'Devil Stuff' !  lol(1)

On a serious note - soapy water is a good one (hence I guess the reason for washing up liquid in your recipe Wonky). Aphids breathe through their skins. Cover them in soapy water and it clogs up their air 'holes' and suffocates them!

How's your ladybird population up there in sunny Yorkshire? Aphids - as you probably know - are their staple diet.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »

Potentially I think that is the problem! The aphids have got it all to themselves at the moment with no sign whatsoever of ladybirds or anything else that might take them on.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »

I don't grow broad beans myself but those that do over here pinch the tips out to prevent the black aphid problem. Not sure at what stage they do this but think it's after the beans start forming.

Annette

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »

Some people use to use  fag butts soaked in a bucket of soapy water ...   I have hundreds of ladybirds on our plot this year seems like everything green has them on it not that im complaining think they must like the hot dry weather ...
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »

Some people use to use  fag butts soaked in a bucket of soapy water ...   I have hundreds of ladybirds on our plot this year seems like everything green has them on it not that im complaining think they must like the hot dry weather ...

Garlic is even more poisonous that nicotine!

See?There are some advantages of living in the UK's desert zone - you don't have aphids - just fat, well fed ladybirds!   ROL :-))
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:26:33 PM »

I don't grow broad beans myself but those that do over here pinch the tips out to prevent the black aphid problem. Not sure at what stage they do this but think it's after the beans start forming.

Annette

They congregate on the tips of broad beans - in fact broad beans and black fly go together like peaches & cream. Funnily enough if you pinch out the tips they don't seem to bother with the rest and move on.

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »

So far so good! I've bought a new spray bottle and given the APS and broad beans a good drenching today with the garlic mixture. I get the impression that the initial spraying I did may have been absorbed by the plants as there seemed to be loads of dead bodies on plants that were only partially sprayed at first. Anyway fingers crossed!!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »

So far so good! I've bought a new spray bottle and given the APS and broad beans a good drenching today with the garlic mixture. I get the impression that the initial spraying I did may have been absorbed by the plants as there seemed to be loads of dead bodies on plants that were only partially sprayed at first. Anyway fingers crossed!!

Yep, the good old poisonous "health" food (commonly called garlic) usually does the trick. Potent isn't it? Don't get the juice in open cuts - if it gets in your bloodstream it could be nasty!  lol(1)

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:46:08 AM »

Home made nicotine spray us deadly to everything so be real careful to use it after the bees have stopped working in the evening; it will drop any caterpillar in an instant.

Ladybirds are the real answer, well, those and hoverfly lava.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »

Home made nicotine spray us deadly to everything . . . . . .

As is the 'Devil's Food' of course  >:D - DEADLY!  lol(1)

Soapy water on it's own is effective because it clogs up the aphids breathing holes (they breathe through their skin).

Here is some info. that I've picked up on my web travels on garlic, nicotine & tomato leaf sprays that can be mixed at home:

Garlic (Devil's Food) Oil Sprays:
Organic gardeners have long been familiar with the repellent or toxic affect of garlic oil on pests. When it is combined with mineral oil and pure soap, as it is in the recipe that follows, devised at the Henry Doubleday Research Association in England, it becomes an effective insecticide. Some studies also suggest that a garlic oil spray has fungicidal properties.

Protection Offered:   
Good results, with quick kill, have been noted against aphids, cabbage loopers, earwigs, June bugs, leafhoppers, squash bugs and whiteflies. The spray does not appear to harm adult lady beetles, and some gardeners have found that it doesn't work against the Colorado potato beetles, grape leaf skeletonizers, grasshoppers, red ants, or sow bugs.

How to Make:   
Soak 3 ounces of finely minced garlic cloves in 2 teaspoons of mineral oil for at least 24 hours. Slowly add 1 pint of water that has 1/4 ounce liquid soap or commercial insecticide soap mixed into it. Stir thoroughly and strain into a glass jar for storage. Use at a rate of 1 to 2 Tablespoons of mixture to a pint of water. If this is effective, try a more dilute solution in order to use as little as possible.

How to Use:   
Spray plants carefully to ensure thorough coverage. To check for possible leaf damage to sensitive ornamentals from the oil and soap in the spray, do a test spray on a few leaves or plants first. If no leaf damage occurs in 2 or 3 days, go ahead and spray more.

Tomatoe Leaf
Nightshade family plants, such as tomatoes, potatoes and tobacco, have toxic compounds called alkaloids in their leaves. These toxins are water soluble and can be soaked from chopped leaves and made into home-made sprays. These sprays also work by attracting natural pest enemies. The good bugs follow the smell of the spray in looking for prey.

Protection Offered:   
Tomato leaf sprays have been used to protect plants from aphids. Also, spraying tomato leaf spray on corn may reduce corn earworm damage. The corn earworm is also called the tomato fruit worm, as it also attacks tomato plants. A scientific study has shown that corn plants sprayed with tomato leaf spray attracted significantly more Trichogramma wasps to parasitize the corn earworm eggs than the unsprayed did.

How to Make:   
Soak 1 to 2 cups of chopped or mashed tomato leaves in 2 cups of water overnight. Strain through cheesecloth or fine mesh. Add about 2 more cups of water to the strained liquid, and spray. For aphid control, be sure to thoroughly cover the leaf undersides, especially of lower leaves and growing tips of plants where aphids congregate.

How to Use:   
Spray plants thoroughly, particularly undersides of lower leaves and growing tips where aphids congregate. While this spray is not poisonous to humans on contact, use care in handling, especially if you are allergic to the nightshade family.

Nicotine
One of the top three insecticides in the 1880s, nicotine in several forms is still widely used. Nicotine comes from the tobacco plant and is extremely toxic to insects. The great advantage of home-made nicotine tea is that it is very short lived, retaining its toxicity for only a few hours after spraying. It is relatively nonhazardous to bees and lady beetles because of its short persistence.

Protection Offered:   
Nicotine is effective against ground and soil pests, especially root aphids and fungus gnats, and on many leaf-chewing insects, such as aphids, immature scales, leafhoppers, thrips, leafminers, pear psylla, and asparagus beetle larvae.

How to Make:   You can brew your own batch of nicotine tea by soaking tobacco leaves or cigarette butts in water to make a spray. Soak 1 cup of dried, crushed tobacco leaves, or an equivalent amount of cigarette butts, in one gallon of warm water with 1/4 teaspoon pure soap added. Strain the mixture through cheesecloth after it has soaked for 1/2 hour. The solution will keep for several weeks if stored in a tightly closed container.

How to Use:    For soil pests, pour the spray mixture onto the soil in the area of the stem base and root zone. For leaf pests, spray leaves thoroughly, especially the undersides. Nicotine can be absorbed by plant leaves and remain there for several weeks. to be safe, use nicotine only on young plants and only up to one month before harvest. It's probably safest not to spray nicotine on eggplant, peppers or tomatoes. While most tobacco cultivars now grown are resistant to tobacco mosaic virus, nicotine sprays could contain the pathogen, which will infect nightshade family crops.

Source: Comfy Country Creations (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »

Other than being a 'distillation product of petroleum' do we know what mineral oil actually is? (as mentioned in the recipe for 'Garlic (Devil's Food) Oil Spray')

In other words if I was to walk into Morrisons or the local garden centre what product would I be asking for?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:17:03 PM by wonky »

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »

I'm not sure Wonky. It's just copied content I picked up from the web-site I've quoted. Personally I would have thought that a vegetable based oil would be the proper thing to use (after all I've always associated mineral oil with engine sumps), however, you can't always be sure when you pick things up off an American site - their vocabulary and accuracy of description often defies me. Like calling a S.C.O.B.Y. a mushroom!! Or calling Calabrese 'broccoli'. They have a habit of not being accurate or fussy when it comes to things like that - it's mostly based on ignorance coupled with not caring because they assume they are always right and that most of the English speaking world will follow suit anyway - which it mostly does!

Boo-ee for buoy, Aye-rack for Irac and ra-oot for route does my head in and don't get me started on 'fries' for chips - which is fast catching on with the McDonald's generation in the UK.  mad:-|

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 11:33:48 PM »

All you need to know about mineral oil ..

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:35:56 PM by scary crow »

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 11:55:57 PM »

And something of interest for the bee people on the forum ...

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 11:31:33 AM »

All you need to know about mineral oil ..

Very interesting. Especially the bit that says "The World Health Organization classifies untreated or mildly treated mineral oils as Group 1 carcinogens to humans" - maybe it has the same effect on aphids!!!  what:-o

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 11:38:19 AM »

Now that is SERIOUSLY interesting! Thanks Scary.

So food grade mineral oil has the same effect on the breathing process of aphids as soapy water, it suffocates them. Apparently it does the same thing to Varroa mites - a brilliant article that. I think I'll reproduce the whole article on the beekeeping board. Once again many thanks Scary!  ThU:-)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »

Now that is SERIOUSLY interesting! Thanks Scary.

So food grade mineral oil has the same effect on the breathing process of aphids as soapy water, it suffocates them. Apparently it does the same thing to Varroa mites - a brilliant article that. I think I'll reproduce the whole article on the beekeeping board. Once again many thanks Scary!  ThU:-)

No problem glad it was helpful also found it,s good for chickens and reptiles ..

In the poultry industry, plain mineral oil can also be swabbed onto the feet of chickens infected with scaly mites on the shank, toes, and webs. Mineral oil suffocates these tiny parasite   . In beekeeping, food grade mineral oil saturated paper napkins placed in hives are used as a treatment for tracheal and other mites. It is also used along with a cotton swab to remove un-shed skin on reptiles such as lizards and snakes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up