Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hedgehogs  (Read 119 times)

sinjon

• Plot Cultivator
Hedgehogs
« on: June 12, 2015, 06:42:14 AM »

Is there a down side to having hedgehogs on the allotment.
With numbers drastically falling it seems a safe place to introduce some.

Colin

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
Re: Hedgehogs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »

hi
the biggest problem for hedgehogs on our allotments is the netting we all use to stop the birds eating
our crops
they can and do get all tangled up in it
so the hedgehog place near me said when I asked about them putting some hogs on our site
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:12:39 AM »

Apart from some noisey mating rituals? Personally I would welcome them with open arms. On the face of it they should help with the local slug population but prefer insects. Be wary if you have badgers in the area because they are one of the few animals that will kill and eat them - I forget if foxes can also take them. One big no no is if anyone is using slug pellets particularly those containing metaldehyde because they will poison and kill them. They are quite territorial and will need access to a large area otherwise there will be a lot of huffing and puffing as males square up to each other. They also forage over large distances and will travel over a kilometre looking for food. In some respects an untidy allotment is preferred because they need somewhere to make a nest and not just one nest - last year I had one nesting in my overgrown strawberry bed. If untidy means having items like netting lying around then that is another big no no as they can get trapped in them. The allotment should ideally be situated well away from any busy roads as their defence mechanism of curling up into a tight ball and not moving is not much protection against a heavy vehicle.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »

Excellent advice there wonky  ThU:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up