Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • New Variety of Tomato, Perhaps. 3 1
Currently:  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Variety of Tomato, Perhaps.  (Read 611 times)

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Re: New Variety of Tomato, Perhaps.
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »

Update on Poppa T.'s Wild Cherry... I could hardly believe my eyes, last night I went out to check where I had planted my two sad looking little plants. This can't be them I said to myself, in just a couple of days these pitiful looking little plants had grown an inch or so, greened up and now look perfectly healthy  ThU5:-). That tomato must has some pretty serious survivor genes in it, sure glad I didn't toss them. 
I'm wishing I had taken a before picture of them, no sense now they looks perfectly normal. Now I've got my fingers crossed we have a decent summer and actually get some ripe tomatoes this year, last year was a complete failure, only one vine ripened tomato, picked a few green to ripen inside. All I can say those sure tasted better than store bought they had the flavor of cardboard, yuck.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Update on Poppa T.'s Wild Cherry... I could hardly believe my eyes, last night I went out to check where I had planted my two sad looking little plants. This can't be them I said to myself, in just a couple of days these pitiful looking little plants had grown an inch or so, greened up and now look perfectly healthy  ThU5:-). That tomato must has some pretty serious survivor genes in it, sure glad I didn't toss them. 
I'm wishing I had taken a before picture of them, no sense now they looks perfectly normal. Now I've got my fingers crossed we have a decent summer and actually get some ripe tomatoes this year, last year was a complete failure, only one vine ripened tomato, picked a few green to ripen inside. All I can say those sure tasted better than store bought they had the flavor of cardboard, yuck.

Annette

Now that it's passed the "Stress Test" let's see how it does in the "Taste Test"!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 08:08:10 AM »

WOOOHOOO  ThU432:-)

Great report, that, Annette. Well, Gee, it looks like APS and now Poppa T's Wild Cherry have both excelled in the Survival, Vigour and Stamina test. I think you'll be quite pleased with flavour, Annette, if you like tomatoey with an acid spike. They pop little flavour bombs in your mouth.

Of course the real test will be in disease resistance, my only concern. The first lot had a tendency to lose colour and go a bit brownish in the bottom leaves. Not blight, I think. I removed each one as they appeared and the plants carried on rambling right up to the frosts.

Be great to have a progress report as yours go for it, Annette.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »

Yep, look like another winner from the 'SHED' stable Tommo!!!  CW ;-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

aftermidnight

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »

" tomatoey with an acid spike. They pop little flavour bombs in your mouth." exactly, could have described it better.
A little off topic but hey it's still a tomato, have a gal in the states sending me a few seeds  of a little tomato she got from a gal in Russia as soon as she's got them dried, she's raving about it's sweet flavor, have a picture but can't figure out how to post it here. You interested Tommo, I could email you a picture.
Annette
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:37:16 PM by aftermidnight »

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 12:10:55 AM »

You bet I'm interested Annette. I'd be very happy to swap some of mine for hers. Is she on the shed yet?

I hope you've enjoyed your Poppa T's and that they have performed well for you. Mine are still climbing all over the greenhouse producing lots of trusses. They have become a firm favourite of our local gastro pubs and the local greengrocer, along with 5 or 6 other varieties.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

aftermidnight

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 12:46:41 AM »

No she's not Tommo, she's on the Easy Garden another home away from home for me.

Annette
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up