Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust on Raspberries  (Read 92 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Rust on Raspberries
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:55:25 PM »

As can be seen in the photograph my raspberry plants are being attacked by rust. I've cut off the leaves that I can see are affected but don't suppose that will be the end of it! I guess that there is not much more that can be done other than wait and see?
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Rust on Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:09:22 PM »

I heard a very interesting snippet on Gardeners Question Time on Friday about rust & how to deal with it using copper wire. However someone was yapping in my ear at the time as I was driving, and being poor at multi tasking I found it difficult to listen to the two conversation sources at the same time!!!

Check out the Radio 4 web page to see if you can hear it again Wonky.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:56:45 PM »

Interesting! The bit about rust is 6 minutes into the programme: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The question referred to garlic in particular and sounds like they insert a piece of copper wire into the stem about an inch above soil level.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 12:18:52 AM »

THAT'S THE ONE Wonky - you found it.

Interestingly, Bordeux mixure which is a mixture of copper sulphate (CuSO4) and slaked lime (Ca(OH)2) is used as a fungicide. It is used in vineyards, fruit-farms and gardens to prevent infestations of downy mildew, powdery mildew and other fungi. The original formula was cooked up in the Bordeux area of France to fight against fungal infections on grape vines. It has been a popular (and almost the only) preperation for protection against potato blight by potato farmers.

Strangely enough copper is supposedly poisonous to plants but Bordeux mix is allowed by the Soil Association. It's obvious that the copper element is what does the trick, as witnessed by the use of copper wires passed through the stems of garlic to prevent rust. Fancy passing copper wires through your raspberry canes wonky?  CW ;-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up