Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bananas  (Read 246 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Bananas
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:28:29 PM »

I was down at the carboot/market helping out my mate, Tony, on his veg stall and he reminded me that the banana glut is on its way where fruiterers and greengrocers may well have over-ripe, over-spotty bananas which they might like to get off their hands.

Give you an idea, I bought a whole box (17 hands of bananas) from Tony for only 3.....yep 3 lonely quids! There is a series of pictures below showing the quality of the bananas from skins off to sliced before dehydrating, a picture of them after dehydrating and, finally, then how many you get from a whole box. We store them in old glass sweet jars that we pay 50p or 1 for on the car boots.

I mentioned in a previous post that we use an 'Excaibur' 9 tray dehydrator.

The cost of producing over 2 1/2 full sweet jars of dehydrated, sliced bananas is about 5. That includes buying them, electricity for drying them etc

On line the cost of buying inferior, commercially processed ones (poor flavour, coated in sugar etc) varies from 1.25 for 125 grammes to around 6+ for a kilo. I have around 2 1/2 kilos of full flavoured slices for a fiver.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Bananas
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:03:55 AM »

Time to start selling your wares Tommo!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:58 AM »

Oh no, mate, these are strictly towards our annual supply. Taking advantage of gluts means we can enjoy good food all year round. We have dried bananas, pineapples, kiwi fruit and more every single day in our supersmoothie.

Talking of kiwi fruit, I managed to get 5 full trays forr FREE from the market yesterday. They will all be in the dehydrator today.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »

Nice one Tommo! It makes us realise what wastage goes on in our society.

The selling your wares was a 'tongue in cheek' remark my friend. I think you have enough on your plate without going into the dried fruit retail business!  CW ;-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up