Author Topic: Rats  (Read 237 times)

Offline sinjon

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
Rats
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »
I have recently bought a rat trap, its cheap ( £4.00) and made of plastic. So far I have caught 2 rats, 2 mice and unfortunately 3 shrews.
Its made by Rentokill and I found it in ' Wilkos ' It is easy and safe to set, I use peanut butter as bait, if you have a rat problem I would really recommend it.

Colin

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Rats
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
I have recently bought a rat trap, its cheap ( £4.00) and made of plastic. So far I have caught 2 rats, 2 mice and unfortunately 3 shrews.
Its made by Rentokill and I found it in ' Wilkos ' It is easy and safe to set, I use peanut butter as bait, if you have a rat problem I would really recommend it.

Colin

I moved this topic to Pests & Diseases as it seemed more appropriate for this board Colin.

Rats are extremely clever and for that reason are often quite difficult to catch - especially in traps. Once they see another rat trapped they're clever enough not to go near a trap they can recognize in future, apparently they do the same with poison, according to a pest control officer I was chatting with years ago. If they don't take enough poison to kill them and are just ill for a while, they are clever enough to know what caused their 'illness' and will not eat the stuff again!

So, nice going Colin, not the easiest animal to trap. Mind you, it sounds as if you're wiping out the whole vermin population in your neighbourhood!  lol(1)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »
Perhaps a picture of the successful rat-trap could be put on here as there are so many available.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
Perhaps a picture of the successful rat-trap could be put on here as there are so many available.

Yes, I'd be interested to see which type is most successful. I'm not a fan of live traps, I think they can be more cruel than an instant death, they get trapped, then get so stressed in panic that many die of a far nastier death through fear - not really a very humane way to deal with them.