Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A quick apology before bedtime!  (Read 204 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
A quick apology before bedtime!
« on: April 10, 2015, 12:17:57 AM »

Sorry!  Blush:-(

I've not been able to spend any time in the 'Shed' over the last couple of days. It's been so frantic I've been meeting myself coming back for the last couple of days.

So many things to do and so little time to do them. Not least trying to get all my spuds in before the wet returns on Sunday. I'm so bushed I can't move when I get home, and I don't get home till it's dark & then I'm so stiff I can hardly move!

I've never knows such a busy period, where I'm too pushed to even spend five minutes at my PC! Each day seems to fly by in a blink!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

dimogga

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: A quick apology before bedtime!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »

Well I'll forgive you.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »

That's a relief!

Sarnies packed, flask full, so I'm about to drag my stiff carcass down to the plot - another day on the shovel.

6 forty foot rows of potatoes to dig out & 30 barrow loads of muck and then covered over is a job better suited to youth! Still, it's the toughest job in April, the rest is a lot easier, but looking on the bright side, apart from a bit of earthing up later, the old spuds will not need a lot more effort until they're lifted in a few months time.  ThU:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's a relief!

Sarnies packed, flask full, so I'm about to drag my stiff carcass down to the plot - another day on the shovel.

6 forty foot rows of potatoes to dig out & 30 barrow loads of muck and then covered over is a job better suited to youth! Still, it's the toughest job in April, the rest is a lot easier, but looking on the bright side, apart from a bit of earthing up later, the old spuds will not need a lot more effort until they're lifted in a few months time.  ThU:-)

Another DAYon the shovel it was 11,15am when you was typing this half the days gone by then  . lol(1)  Most people are packing up to go home at that time after starting there planting listening to the dawn chorus . ROL :-)).. 
You have Bertha remove the tines chuck some wheels on it and put a ridger behind it to dig out your rows make light work of it . 
Heres a piccy theres loads for sale you could have 6 forty foot rows done in a hour with hardly any effort ...

ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 10:34:50 PM »

That's a relief!

Another DAYon the shovel it was 11,15am when you was typing this half the days gone by then  . lol(1)  Most people are packing up to go home at that time after starting there planting listening to the dawn chorus . ROL :-)).. 
You have Bertha remove the tines chuck some wheels on it and put a ridger behind it to dig out your rows make light work of it . 
Heres a piccy theres loads for sale you could have 6 forty foot rows done in a hour with hardly any effort ...

ROL :-)) Are you saying that Gee's old fashioned Scary  :-)snigger  Doing things the slow way ay with an old shovel  ROL :-))

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »

YES      lol(1)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:04:46 AM »

Listen mate - you may start at dawn & finish at lunch time, some of us start at 11.15am and finish at 9.15pm - did you do ten hours straight on your plot today you cheeky crow?!

As for you Dave you need a shovel for those 'chicken pellets' (whatever they are) because half your day was taken clearing up your own mess.

Ridgers behind rotovators are Micky Mouse attachments for widows without a man to dig proper trenches for their spuds. Wrong depth and wrong width most of the time - might as well scratch the soil with a triangle hoe!

I'm talking man-size ridges!

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »

Seems like a lot of people dont bother digging a long trench anymore just use one of these tools the only hole your digging is where the spuds going ...

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »

Seems like a lot of people dont bother digging a long trench anymore just use one of these tools the only hole your digging is where the spuds going ...

A chap planting his spuds this morning on our site just using a dibber to make a hole about a foot deep just chucks spud in and covers it over then earths em up a bit when they come up Said he always plants em like that and they ok.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »

Depends on what your standard is for 'OK' doesn't it? I've seen the results from people who just chuck a spud in a hole! Another army of poor widows & orphans without a clue!

Why do you think potato farmers (the acknowledged experts in these things) still  go to the effort to make rows, use tons of farm yard manure in them before planting, and then go to the effort of earthing them up in ridges? Simple - they expect more than three or four marble sized tubers from one seed potato. Planting spuds on an allotment  plot follows the same time tested technique - just on a smaller scale - assuming you want a proper crop! There's a reason why planting potatoes in rows has developed over the centuries as the best way to get maximum crops.

Throwing a seed potato in a hole in the ground and expecting a proper crop is a total waste of time, energy and money in my opinion.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 09:17:34 PM »

Manure  not anywhere near where i live it,s all chemicals sprayed before and after the seed spud s get put in dont think many farmers know what manure is for nowadays it would be too much effort for them it,s more simple quicker and cleaner to spray ...   
Some growers seem to do well not tried it myself by growing under straw or black plastic dont know if theres any commercial growers out there using this method .

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:31:29 AM »

I think you're talking there about large scale mono culture potato growers Scary. That's a different animal (excuse the pun). Mono culture crop production is different from 'farming'. And you're right they are heavily dependent on chemicals, not just for crop feeding, but for weed & pest control. They can't use farm yard manure because they don't produce any manure - they are solely crop producers. I'm talking about mixed farming, where there is an amount of crop production (like poptatoes/ swedes/ mangles/ maize, etc.) and dairy/ beef cattle rearing and also sheep on the same farm.  Those types of farms produce manure and use it on the fields - using muck or slurry spreaders and in crop rows - like potatoes.

Before the age of tractors they did it with horses. On allotments they used the same method, but with a shovel instead of a horse or tractor drawn ridger. The method was the same, because it has been the time tested best method. You open your rows, apply manure, cover with soil and then ridge them. You can plant potatoes in any way you wish, they will grow as soon as they are covered by damp soil. However, to get a maximum crop then you need to copy the farming method that has been in existence for centuries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up