Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What I put in my dehydrator today  (Read 422 times)

dimogga

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: What I put in my dehydrator today
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »

That sounds fab.
I am still keeping my eye out for fruity bargains but they only had sprouts on the reduced shelf yesterday!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2015, 11:42:40 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That sounds fab.
I am still keeping my eye out for fruity bargains but they only had sprouts on the reduced shelf yesterday!

Dehydrated sprouts - that's an interesting one . . . . .  lol(1)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

dimogga

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »

That sounds fab.

Dehydrated sprouts - that's an interesting one . . . . .  lol(1)

Oh they'd be very strange. Like bullets of green.

wonky

• Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2016, 01:57:58 AM »

Just for the moment Morrisoffs are doing my head in! I'm still getting some good bargains but it can be hard work. A few weeks ago I managed to get 30 punnets of blueberries at 9 pence a punnet. Some were liquidised with a bit of plain yogurt and dehydrated the result looks a bit like lumpy bird droppings but the taste is good. The rest were dipped in boiling water for about 30 seconds to help make the skins a little porous but they still took 3 days to dry. Still they are good for adding to the breakfast cereals.

Bananas regularly turn up and in quite large quantities. However there seems to be a change in policy in how they deal with out of date stock. This evening I called into the store and stacked ready to go on display were 3 full boxes of bananas with a best before date of the 11th March, note that today was the 11th so effectively they are already past their best! So I find someone who is working on the fruit and veg section and ask what they are going to do with them. He was a little surprised that they were there but said that he had to put them on display which he did - alongside other bananas that had good dates on them. No way was he going to reduce them. It is interesting to watch other shoppers pick their bananas - they all look at the dates on the packets and make sure that they take a pack which has the longest best before on - no one will take the old ones. Anyway I go home have dinner, watch television for awhile and go back to the store for about 9 pm - the store closes at 10. Of course the bananas are still there and still not marked down so I find someone with a gun and she kindly says she will take a look and mark them down for me. She then goes around the back and speaks to a manager comes back and says that I can have them for half price - no thanks says I, (bearing in mind that the store closes in less than an hour at which point they would be putting them in the skip) and then direct her to some melons with the same date and 2 which have a best before of 10th March. The offer is still half price but the ones with the 10th on she immediately reduced to 9 pence so i took those two.

I then went on a wander around the store to see if anything else was worth having and at about 9.30 find someone else to talk to about the bananas and she has a look and can't believe what she sees. She calls someone else and then comes back and says that I can have them for 9 pence a pack and anything else that I find with today's date on at the same price - at last!! I disappear outside for a large trolley and fill it. 34 packs of bananas, 7 melons, 1 pack of asparagus (best before was the 9th!) 1 avocado pear and a pack of french beans. I then get to the till and the operator can't put 44 items through at 9 pence each. She has a discussion with the woman that said I could have them at 9 pence and between them they can't work out what 44 times 9 is and somehow come up with a figure of 1.60. At this point I'm losing the will to live and gratefully pay the amount suggested. So for all that lot I paid the princely sum of 1.60. The dehydrator is going to be busy this week!

And by the way dehydrated melon is really delicious!
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »

I can vouch for the melon - it REALLY is delicious.

That little trip sounds like a result to me Wonky! I don't suppose you had the heart to tell them they'd just robbed Mr Morrison of 2.36. I fear for the arithmetic prowess of the next generation!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »

Man after my own heart, Wonky. I've never tried dried melon before and I always get given boxes of them by the veg man on the market...mostly go down a pig or two...but this year I'm up for trying it.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up