Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What I put in my dehydrator today  (Read 364 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: What I put in my dehydrator today
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 04:43:43 PM »

I was recommending that on another post, Annette.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

wonky

• Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »

At the moment the fruit leathers are not an option as I don't have the paraflexx sheets required for the dehydrator - but I'm working on getting some. Hopefully once I've got the sheets sorted I will be giving them a try. Thanks Annette and Tommo.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »

You could do the first step, get rid of some of the seeds, add a bit of honey and maybe a drop or two of a tasty liqueur :) and  freeze the until you get your paraflexx sheets. Then all you have to do is thaw, spread and dehydrate. Yum, would make some real tasty chew sticks  ThU5:-).

Annette

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »

Now that's genius, Annette. Why didn't I think of that.

clap:-) clap:-) clap:-)

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »

And finally the raspberries have dried! At the 24 hour mark most were drying well but still a few soft squidgy ones remained. Finally after another 8 hours overnight they are all successfully dried - so that is 32 hours in total dehydrating time. Other than a few that were less than intact when they went into the dehydrator the rest came off the trays with very little effort. They are a bit crunchy and a little tart but mixed into a breakfast cereal they are absolutely fine.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »

A successful experiment then Wonky?  HTT:-}
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 01:24:23 PM »

Well after a week of throwing a handful of dehydrated raspberries onto my cereal in the morning and picking at them for the rest of the day I am very much of the opinion that they were a success.

By way of an experiment I have just loaded up the dehydrator with even more raspberries. But this time they have been plunged into boiling water for 15 seconds followed by a dunking in cold water to remove the heat and stop them cooking too much.

I will find out later if it reduces the drying time significantly.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 06:29:28 PM »

Getting your money's worth out of that dehydrator aren't you Wonky?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »

I'm certainly trying to! It's one of those things that could be an expensive toy used once and then forgotten about - a good idea at the time! The guy I bought it from did just that used it once and for whatever reason lost total interest in it and shoved it into his attic. It only came out the attic when he was moving to a new house. Anyway it adds useful options to the storage of various foods for which we have limited freezer space and fridge and cupboards already stuffed with way too much jam.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »

I know what you mean - a perennial problem Wonky - where to store everything! looks like you've solved it to an extent.  ThU:-)

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »

The experiment with the 2nd lot of raspberries does seem to have worked. They were dried in 10 hours unlike the untreated ones which took 32 hours. They have retained a stronger colour and have a more immediate stronger taste I think mainly because they have retained a little more moisture. The only downside perhaps is that the few seconds in boiling water has caused them to collapse during the drying process so they look more like little coloured blobs than raspberries but what they heck they taste good!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:52:59 AM by wonky »

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The experiment with the 2nd lot of raspberries does seem to have worked. They were dried in 10 hours unlike the untreated ones which took 32 hours. They have retained a stronger colour and have a more immediate stronger taste i think mainly because they have retained a little more moisture. The only downside perhaps is that the few seconds in boiling water has caused them to collapse during the drying process so they look more like little coloured blobs than raspberries but what they heck they taste good!

Did I miss something?

What exactly did you do in your 2nd experiment?

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »

Dipped them in boiling water for 15 seconds before putting into the dehydrator Tommo - to damage the skins and make them lose moisture easier.

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2015, 01:09:50 AM »

Yet again Morrison have come good! So along with the weekly shop came 16 bags of bananas, 9 in a bag, priced at 19 pence a bag. Its at times like this that I could do with the 9 tray Excalibur not the 5. Anyway have sorted all the bruised ones out first and packed all 5 trays so they should be about ready when we get up in the morning. Then it will be time to slice a few more bunches. I can see this lot filling the machine 3 or 4 times! Should happily see us through the winter period with dried bananas in the cereal bowls daily.  ThU32:-) 

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 07:38:53 AM »

Love it!

clap:-) clap:-) clap:-)

Someone just like me.

One day you will sell the 5 tray and put the money towards a big, shiny 9 Tray. You will never regret it.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2015, 11:59:45 AM »

You've both convinced me - I think I should be looking for one.

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 11:34:03 PM »

On the basis that I need some more space in the freezer I have decided to give fruit leathers a try. All the frozen raspberries and blackberries have been removed and defrosted and a few more cheap bananas purchased from Morrison along with some cheap limes at 19p for 6. I guess about a pound of raspberries went into the food processor along with 5 bananas and the juice from half a lime and were then liquidised to a fine paste. That was enough to do about 2 of the dehydrator trays so another slightly larger batch was prepared to fill the other 3 trays. The paste itself tastes really good so will be interesting to try the finished leathers. All being well a similar mix will be done tomorrow using the blackberries.

Just out of interest the previous batch of bananas, a quantity of 144 fruits, filled 21 trays so filled the machine 4 times plus an extra tray which equates to 28.58 square feet of dried banana slices. Total cost of the bananas was 3.42.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:15:49 PM by wonky »

dimogga

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 10:31:25 AM »

Wow! They look excellent.

I made some with just fruit. They're ok.
Not spotted anything exotic on the fruit sell off to try.

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »

They taste excellent! To start with they are a bit like popping a wafer in your mouth, dry and no taste - but then they very quickly melt and release the most intense flavour of raspberry and banana or blackberry and banana. Definitely  a good way to use up and store some of those surplus fruit crops and of course supermarket bargains.

The large one wasn't quite dry before I decided it was bed time so it stayed in the dehydrator quite a few more hours than originally intended. By the morning it had dried like a very brittle board. But no problem it was simply broken up into small pieces and is now stored in a glass jar. It makes an excellent addition to a bowl of muesli in the morning.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:44:05 AM by wonky »

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »

The local supermarket came good on its bananas yet again so I came away with a dozen bags at 19 pence each. I hadn't made the association at first but on the reduced counter were 3 large tubs (450g size) of yoghurt for 25 pence each, 2 of them were 'strawberry with rhubarb' flavour and the third just rhubarb. Once I arrived home I realised that I could use the yoghurt to flavour the bananas and do some more fruit leathers. So into the food processor went half a tub of yoghurt and about 9 bananas along with the juice of half a fresh lime which was sufficient for 2 and a half trays in the dehydrator. The machine has been filled twice now and there is still loads of bananas left and a carton of yoghurt so looks like it will be filled for a third time in the morning. The finished product isn't pretty but it ain't half tasty!!  ThU32:-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up