Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dehydrator  (Read 173 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Dehydrator
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »

Wonky is now the proud owner of a 5 tray Excalibur Dehydrator  CThUpD:-) - just got to go and collect it. Hope I wasn't bidding against anyone here on fleece bay? Not sure if it comes with any instructions but presume it will be straight forward to use - if not I will be back here looking for advice!  Grin2:-)
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:43:33 PM »

Tommo will be the 'go to' man. He has exactly the same model I think (he's pretty good & won't charge you too much for a photo-copy of the manual!)  :-)snigger

Can I ask how much you paid for it (without being cheeky?)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:19:04 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can I ask how much you paid for it (without being cheeky?)

By all means - the hammer, so to speak, came down at 62.99 plus there will be the cost of a bit of petrol to fetch it which could also be seen as a day out in the countryside with a bit of a detour.

Tommo has the 9 drawer version which also has a built in timer but essentially the same. If there are any major benefits in having a timer then I will fit one.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:35:12 AM by wonky »
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 02:47:45 AM »

Some time ago Tommo posted a link to the Excalibur website on which the instruction manual and all sorts of tips and guides can be found so it is worthwhile repeating it here:

dimogga

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »

Is there a 'What I put in my dehydrator today' thread?

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:03:04 AM »

I'm pretty sure that there isn't such a thread so a good idea to start one. As it is a means of preserving food and there is a 'child' board by the name of 'Jams and Preserves' I suspect that would be the best place to start the thread. If it's wrong G can always move it somewhere more appropriate!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:19:45 AM »

I'm pretty sure that there isn't such a thread so a good idea to start one. As it is a means of preserving food and there is a 'child' board by the name of 'Jams and Preserves' I suspect that would be the best place to start the thread. If it's wrong G can always move it somewhere more appropriate!

Sounds like the perfect place to me Wonky. Here's a link to that board:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

sinjon

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 01:35:44 PM »

I am new to the dehydrator debate, my wife has asked me why and what.
Is it just for crunchy snacks or do you reconstitute and cook it as a vegetable/ fruit ?

Colin

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »

I am new to the dehydrator debate, my wife has asked me why and what.
Is it just for crunchy snacks or do you reconstitute and cook it as a vegetable/ fruit ?

Colin

My interest in a dydydrator is to dry my bean seeds Colin - it's always a headache & takes ages to complete properly.

I guess when it comes to food you can use it to make crunchy tit-bit snacks or for rehydration later when cooking, like you soak beans or pulses for soups & stews etc. but I'm not the expert - I haven't got one yet. A vacuum packer is a good accessory for snacks I presume - I know Tommo is heavily into that side of things!  CW ;-)

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 12:30:22 AM »

The dehydrator has now been collected from Newcastle under Lyme which is about 60 miles away over the Derbyshire peaks - a very scenic route even if it was a bit hard going. Definitely not the easiest of places to get to - no motorways not even a dual carriageway just mainly b roads. Apparently the chap bought it years ago used it once and it has been in his loft ever since.  Anyway it has now been thoroughly washed inside and out to remove the grime and left running on full power for about 30 minutes to burn the dust off the heating element.

With the exception of the motor and heater the rest of it is made entirely from plastics so is surprisingly light weight.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 02:07:50 AM »

Keep us posted on how it performs for you Wonky!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »

I don't know if it's of any interest to others (not Wonky obviously - he's got the Rolls Royce of dehydrators), but I found this cheap and cheerful one on Amazon.

Click

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »

A photograph of the dehydrator and jar of pineapple that it has just produced.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 07:13:11 PM »

A photograph of the dehydrator and jar of pineapple that it has just produced.

Wow! That's impressive Wonky - how do they taste?

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 08:41:02 AM »

That's excellent, Wonky, I just love dehydrated fruits. You get a concentrated fruitiness that you just don't get with bought dried fruits. I find also that the longer you leave them in the dehydrator the crunchier they get. I find that the bought ones lack loads of flavour, plus, with many of them you will get a sugar coating. Why?? You really don't need the extra sugar when you do it yourself.

I have posted before that I get extremely cheap, sometimes free, fruits when they are in a glut from the market fruit and veg' guys. Bananas are wonderfully fragrant when they are speckled or even lightly blackened, but not bruised. Inside the skins they are still firm and very ripe and they dehydrate beautifully. Thing is, the market guys can't sell them because the general public think they are 'off' so they are often glad to give them away or sell them really cheaply to get rid of them as they have to pay to dispose of them, themselves.

To give you an example, during the summer I regularly pick up whole boxes, 16 hands of bananas in each one for only 2 quid! Pineapples usually come in boxes of 8 or 10 and can be bought for only a pound or two per box. I get trays and trays of strawberries, peaches, kiwi fruit for nothing as they can turn so quickly that the fruiterers have to get rid of them. One strawberry in a punnet that is mouldy will turn the whole punnet overnight. Only buy English strawberries, though, as imported ones are mostly covered in fungicides. Better still, grow more of you own.

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings. I really hope you enjoy your new investment.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »

In my opinion they should ban the sale of all bananas unless they are actually showing those little brown freckles and of course not bruised!! We once had bananas from I think it was Tesco that were supposedly ready for eating. They were rock hard, impossible to peel and so went in the bin. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up