Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brining  (Read 120 times)

lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Brining
« on: March 26, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »

Hi Ya, I tried pickling onions a while ago but had never heard of brining. I just peeled them and chucked them in vinigar. I fancy having a go at pickling some shallots aand I will just using ordinary sarsons this first go but have met conflicting veiws on wether to dry or wet brine the onions befreo hand. What do all you picklers do. wet or dry? I Herad dry makes them more crunchy. Is that true? Help please

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Re: Brining
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:00:23 PM »

Pickled onions sliced up in a roast pork sandwich yum!!! I haven't pickled onions for at least ten years, maybe this is the year. I have a good recipe from a girlfriend I have stashed away I'll see if I can dig it out, if I do I'll post it here. If I remember correctly the onions are put in a salt brine first, they turned out nice and crisp.
Has anyone here got a good recipe for pickled onions using malt vinegar, the best ones I ever tasted were the ones a friend of my dad made, she gave us a jar every Christmas but wouldn't tell how she made them :(.
Annette

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:01:41 PM »

Found it :).
BERYL'S PICKLED ONIONS
(4lbs. onions makes 5 small jars)
Brine:
1 cup pickling salt
2 quarts of water
Bring to a boil, then cool
Soak onions in cooled brine 2 days, no more than 3
Strain...( I gave mine a quick rinse but the recipe doesn't call for it)
Bring to a boil 1 cup of sugar and 1 quart of vinegar
Cool
Pack onions in jars, top with cooled sugar, vinegar mixture
Add a pinch of Alum to each jar before putting the lids on
Store 2 or 3 months before using
I've made these a couple of times, turned out great, nice and crisp the way I like them.

Annette

lottieguy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:06:09 AM »

Hi ya, I have put onions in a bowl and put some salt in. I thought I would try this method. I checked them this morning and I am surprised at the amount of moisture collected. I added more salt. I threw the older onions out as they had gone funny. I had made them in 2010. I did not brine them. I will bottle them tonight. How long do I leave them before eating?  Happy munching

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:17:58 AM »

Ideally after two months lottieguy, but if the temptation overtakes you then you won't harm yourself by 'stealing' the odd one!  chkl:-]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ideally after two months lottieguy, but if the temptation overtakes you then you won't harm yourself by 'stealing' the odd one!  chkl:-]

Great recipe that, Annette, very similar to the one we use. As for how long to leave them before eating, this is a personal thing with no set rules. Ruth makes the occasional instant pickled onions and puts them in the fridge where we use them almost immediately ( within a couple of days, and usually on one of those cold pork or cold lamb sandwiches that Annette describes ).

The whole texture and flavour of the onions ( or shallots) changes in the jar from day one, going from young, hot and crunchy with a strong vinegar hit to  a more mellow flavour as they mature. There are those who say leave them for a couple of months or more, minimum, but I say get stuck in and enjoy them as they evolve.

You've got my mouth watering now, Lottieguy, I think I'll get one of our own ham joints out of the freezer and boil it up....now where are those shallots......
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

lottieguy

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »

Hi Ya, well I pulled my pickling onions out of the cuboard and was suprised how the level of the picling vinigar had dropped. The onions soaking it up I presume. Will have to top the jar up. Looking forward to tasting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up