Author Topic: Ahh! New plot holder signed up  (Read 327 times)

Offline dimogga

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Ahh! New plot holder signed up
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:39:22 AM »
One signed up, got to get hold of the other now.

They're only having a half plot each.

Have offered this first one the old greenhouse frame I've got, some pallets for a bin, and a rhubarb plant. :)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Ahh! New plot holder signed up
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »
I would have been grateful if anyone had offered me stuff like that when I had my first plot in 1976! I started off with a cheap little set of gardening tools bought from a mail order catalogue on tick! Plus a long handled 'Cardiganshire' shovel my dad gave me. The plot was overgrown and hadn't been touched for years (allotment plots were on the decline in those days, with hardly any waiting lists). The quality of the tools wasn't great but they lasted many seasons.

Offline dimogga

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »
He's got a slightly glassy plot with concrete bits thrown over. Used to be lovely plot.
Am sure it will be very soon again.

The voltunteer turned up yesterday and picked a third of a bucket of glass off it!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
He's got a slightly glassy plot with concrete bits thrown over. Used to be lovely plot.
Am sure it will be very soon again.

The voltunteer turned up yesterday and picked a third of a bucket of glass off it!

It's going to be a long old job at that rate!

Offline dimogga

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »
He's done all the really obvious stuff. We'll leave the bucket for the plot holders to fill as they come across it.
Still not heard back from this other one yet!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
Done a runner do you think?

Offline dimogga

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:15:50 AM »
I left a message with someone at his home - daughter I assume as it wasn't his wife. But I know what my teenage son is like for passing messages.
Sent a text as well but I think he works shifts. I will try his house again at the weekend and leave another couple of messages. And then come Monday morning it'll be offered to the bloke on our site who has recently asked for a bit more land. :)

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »
Hi Ya. I am suprised your new plot holder is taking so long to track down. We have a new plotter on our site and they jumped at the chance. Over grown and they have only been a week and the transformation is incredible. They asked a couple of questions when I met them and I gave them a few carrots for dinner. I saw rather than heard a fellow next to them giving them the benefit of his knowledge which is a few sandwiches short of a picnic. They were working and he was talking. I think they got his measure and tried to ignore him. I saw them later and they mentioned he had told them do this and do that. taliking out of his backside like he always does. I told them the people to watch who are good gardeners and do your own thing. Every one has thier way of doing things and trial and error sorts it out. I did advise they grow some thing easy like radish for the kids and also not to exotic for them as to avoid dissapointment. Nothing hurts more than failure. They seem keen and they have done very well. I only hope they don't burn them selves out. Happy gardening

Offline dimogga

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:44:10 AM »
Hi Ya. I am suprised your new plot holder is taking so long to track down.

It's that time of year people end up taking leave cos they have to so I am playing it extra safe. Have another person on our site if I can't get hold of him this weekend. :)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »
Hi Ya. I am suprised your new plot holder is taking so long to track down.

It's that time of year people end up taking leave cos they have to so I am playing it extra safe. Have another person on our site if I can't get hold of him this weekend. :)

Perhaps I'm a bit cynical, but I can't help wondering if he's had a change of mind, got cold feet and is ducking.

If someone is keen they tend to chase you down & not the other way around. If the attitude is one of an offered allotment plot being low down his 'must see to' priority list then you have to question how serious he'll be about his plot when he starts working on it. It's a common thing, some take on plots and view them as somewhere to go when there's nothing else much to do - they turn up every other Sunday morning (if the weather is warm) and just use the plot as a little space to relax in & not to seriously cultivate. You don't want too many of those types around. It's a big difference from the new plot holder that lottieguy has told us about!

Offline dimogga

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
Yes it's either he's on holiday or he doesn't want one anymore.

I would feel really crap having rushed to pass to the next one on the list if he's on holiday.

I've read that one site makes one call and if you miss that call you've missed your place on the list. That's a bit harsh imo, maybe I've been more than generous, but it's not long since he'd expressed an interest

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »
Somewhere betwixt & between is probably about right. You've done your bit and passed the message on, if he doesn't contact you in seven days hold your nose & flush the chain & pass it on to the next one on the list Di. Time's getting on and the next person on the list could be losing valuable time.

Offline dimogga

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »
By the end of the weekend I will have let it. :-)
It will take about five minutes to get it in order and planted.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:21 PM »
I would have offered it to the next person by now you have left a message at his house he must have got that by now and whether he works shifts or not he was sent a text he could have replied to that by now even if he was on holiday he is probally one of those dreamers that watched a gardening programme on tv and thought it was easy  ring the next person up let them have it and get it sorted and growing the season is creeping up fast ...

Offline dimogga

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »
Yeah have heard back off him today and his circumstances have changed.

Have rung the plot bloke who wants more space and he'll come down on Tuesday to see it - and presumably have a think.
He's only got 1/4 plot at the moment and wants more space.
He turned down the 1/4 next to his last year cos it had a bit of muck and weeds on it. (Yes you heard right!)

If he only wants another quarter than he'll have to move over I think rather than fracture the site more. It'd be silly if we started splitting every plot into quarters

(The quarter next to his he didn't want, had been used for dumping muck on rather than using the car parking area)

This is half of the 'glassed' plot -

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
Guessed as much - he was showing all the signs of someone developing cold feet and ducking. Better to find out now rather than later though Di.

It sounds as if your ¼ plotter is a bit of a fussy ditherer too!

Offline dimogga

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
Yeah, Maybe he was just a bit taken aback to get a call about it.

Need to work on the list now as that's it!

Offline dimogga

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 03:30:17 PM »
Things don't stand still do they? The sad thing is they usually go from good to bad - it's the way of things I suppose.   ss:-( The answer is to vett new plot holders properly before they are given permanent control of a plot.

Offline dimogga

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
Yes uts sad seeing the plot be 'dissolved' .. but hopeful for the future.

Yes, vetting!