Author Topic: My Shed.  (Read 397 times)

Offline wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
My Shed.
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:16:09 AM »
I set off with good intentions for my shed and even bought an upholstered rocking chair to go in it (it now resides in the bedroom!). Basically it is somewhere dry and relatively clean for storing tools, canes, greenhouse glass, bird food, fertilisers, netting, potato sacks etc, etc. It has a wardrobe for storing the long handled tools in, a chest of drawers for small tools, gloves, string, pencils, paper, scissors etc. There is also a potting bench, my dug up from the plot bottle and glass jar collection, tea making facilities and loads of stuff I can't even start to recall.  If the weather really turns bad I can just about squeeze in it but standing room only. It is a massive 7 feet by 5 feet.

We probably need to start a new topic along the lines of 'My Shed' so as suggested here is the new topic!

Wonky.

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Re: My Shed.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »
I fibbed our converted shed is only 6' wide, it's my greenhouse that's 8 1/2' wide. When we built the shed back in the 80's to house Belgian Hares and Tans it was just built wide enough for a row of cages against one wall with a walkway in front, doors at both ends. The back wall is solid, front wall is solid on the bottom with lattice panels on the top half for good air circulation, there's a good roof overhang so rain isn't a problem.
Wonky, a chest of drawers for the smaller tools and bits and pieces is a brilliant idea, I'll have to keep a lookout for something suitable. as far as the long handled tools go I think I'll just pound a few nails in the back wall and hang them, that is if I can manage to push through all the stuff on the floor. I also have a pile of plastic hanging baskets to store, right now they are all piled in one corner. I've stopped taking the hangers off, making the plastic hangers last a little longer, so I'm thinking of stringing a wire up high so I can hang them, clearing up more floor space. 
I shudder at the thought but think one fine day I will empty the space I claimed as my own out and reorganize, that is after I have drawn up a plan on where everything is to go :). My potting bench is in my lath house, it made of a half sheet of plywood cut lengthwise, it's hinged to the wall posts so it drops down when not in use, when in use it's held up by chains hooked to the two front edges, lots of room for making up different potting mixes. I usually have a bin at one end so I can sweep off all the bits and pieces, these in turn go to the compost.
Annette

Offline Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:36:08 PM »
My shed.....well son built it for me...he don't do cheap shit as he calls it....never the less I got a bargain.....inside is my granddads old fold up table..over a 100 yrs old....my chair with a blanket for picnics folded up as my cushion.

In the corner big tools in other corner my small tools....

A stool for visitors to sit.....pictures of flowers..gardens...plants on the walls....

Ive sealed it with some super duper stuff that protects wood......fadey grey.....a super duper plastic which is bomb proof protecting my roof.

A ceramic plaque with red poppies and my number 23.

A few hooks, boots, bags ......but where I sit and eat my sandwiches....with my dogs.

I feel honoured to have a shed. YRTB :-Yes

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
My polytunnel is the nearest thing I've got to a shed at the moment. I've got all the wood & the windows etc. but just haven't got round to building it in the four years I've been on this site, the trouble is there's been a lot of insecurity whether I was going to stay here or find an alternative site with no 'loonies'. What WILL be in a corner of my shed is a small wood burner, so that I'll be able to sit in there in winter!

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
Having erected the new greenhouse and kitted it out with shelves, a potting bench and the like that was mostly stored in the shed I have at long last been able to get into it and have a good tidy up. I have filled 3 compost bags with rubbish (I knew I kept all those bags for a purpose!). On the back wall was still attached my 2013 calendar so proving it's at least 2 years since I've been able to get fully into the shed.

I've sorted out all those plastic bottle tops and the like that are used for eye protection on the tops of canes and realised that I probably had enough for all the canes in South Yorkshire let alone my allotment. I can't believe how many toilet roll middles that I'm storing or that one small household could be generating so much c**p.

The floor has been swept, I've resisted the urge to polish it, I have space for a small chair and have even put up the Xmas tree.

I wonder how long I can keep it tidy now?  CThUpD:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
Having erected the new greenhouse and kitted it out with shelves, a potting bench and the like that was mostly stored in the shed I have at long last been able to get into it and have a good tidy up. . . . . .

. . . . .  I can't believe how many toilet roll middles that I'm storing or that one small household could be generating so much c**p.

. . . . . I wonder how long I can keep it tidy now?  CThUpD:-)

If your track record is anything like mine - about a week?  cwl:-]

The problem with tidied up sheds is that they're too convenient for our darling wives to make them an overflow from the house when they're in spring clean or clearing mood. Out of sight out of mind - it's a woman thing!

I'm also amazed at the way the toilet roll tubes mount up - especially when you have a grown up son in the house. We used to be two, now we're temporarily three & the toilet paper consumption seems to have gone up six fold!!  what:-o

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 08:40:16 PM »
So crowded in our shed there aint even room for the spiders to hide in the corners ..          ROL :-))

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 08:52:28 PM »
So crowded in our shed there aint even room for the spiders to hide in the corners ..          ROL :-))

Look on the bright side Scary - no room for rats either!!!  lol(1)

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Hi Ya,  have two sheds on my plot. A small 6 x 4 and a larger 7 x 5. I use the large shed for getting out of the rain and storing tools. I have to admit to being a bit of a collector and I can hardly move for stuff I have accumulated over time. I can get in the door way and have to climb over stuff to get to my stool at the back. I keep saying I will have a sort out but then think, this might come in handy one day I had better keep it. The small shed is for storing netting, canes, hose's etc and I can get in the door at a push. I had to replace the felt and in getting to the step ladder at the back of the shed I found three tubs of BF&B and 1 of chicken pellets. I have given loads of stuff to others as well. I did tidy the big shed but less than a week later it was back to normal. I will take some piccies of the inside when I go there next and ley you all see. I have tools that are brand new and never been used, if I need to get the rotovator out I have to empty out the centre to get it though. Still it's mine and my OH doesn't tell me off for making a mess, I have a paraffin heater in there some where and gas stoves x 3, to make a brew. I lov the shed and with the eye problems it has been my bolt hole and I would of gone doolally with out it. Happy gardening. 

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:35:01 PM »
A plot is not a plot without a shed or two is it?