Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about nesting  (Read 113 times)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Thinking about nesting
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:18:57 PM »

Have noticed the past few days when walking down the lane towards the fen that the birds have started to sing and the robin is chasing all the birds from his terrortry and have seen birds collecting nesting material do they know something about the weather that we dont or do you think even birds can make mistakes and go to nest then the weather turn cold and they reject the nest and eggs .. 
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Thinking about nesting
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:43:16 PM »

I'm not sure about them making mistakes! I think the trigger for them to start pairing & nesting is tied up with day length - as it it often is with plants. They probably do sometimes get caught out, but I don't think it's the weather that triggers them. Did you read this post that I put on this board a while back?

I remember my grandfather telling me when I was a little boy, that the reason why St. Valentine's day was the day that courting couples celebrated was because that was the day the little birds started courting. It was a bit tongue in cheek, but with more than a gram of sense applied to it. I wouldn't believe him - because he had a habit of teasing with silly remarks like that, but he told me to pay attention in future to see if he was telling the truth. I did, and without fail, every year, around the second week of February, I noticed that the birds actually DO start singing and becoming more active! Last week I noticed sparrows collecting bits to line their nests, and again my old Dadcu's words came back to me a good half century after he first told me! As Scary mentioned, the 'dawn corus' is now almost in full swing every morning. So yes it IS around St. Valentine's day that the little birds start their courting antics (in our neck of the woods at least).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »

Yes remember reading that now so yes most probally the length of the day that gets them going well i hope the weather dont go down hill a wasted effort if they build and lay then reject the nest because of bad weather waste of a clutch of eggs and i do like to see them breed and do well so fingers crossed the weather stays ok for them ...
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:05:13 AM »

The little Anna Hummingbirds are nesting now, this is the little Hummingbird that stays with us all winter. They love to line their nests with cat hair. Percy our indoor kitty, if she only knew she was supplying what she must think are little flying horderves outside the dining room with HER fur  ;D
Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:28:20 AM »

The little Anna Hummingbirds are nesting now, this is the little Hummingbird that stays with us all winter. They love to line their nests with cat hair. Percy our indoor kitty, if she only knew she was supplying what she must think are little flying horderves outside the dining room with HER fur  ;D
Annette

How ironic is that? A moggy helping a bird to line it's nest! The hummingbirds's revenge!!  ROL :-))
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:10:58 AM »

About the bird breeding season. Did you know that cutting trees/hedges down between March and August is illegal and can earn you a hefty fine.

It is an offence under Section 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981 to intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built. It will be an intentional act, for example, if you or your neighbour know there is an active nest in the hedge and still cut the hedge, damaging or destroying the nest in the process. (RSPB)

I leave my firewood collecting until the autumn when there isn't much sap in the wood to dry.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Pages: [1]   Go Up