Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Niger or Nyjer?  (Read 124 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Niger or Nyjer?
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »

I have an embarrassing admission to make. I've always spelled 'Niger' seeds NIGER. However as I was nosing around looking for NIGER seed feeders (after reading Wonky's post 'Niger Seeds' I discovered that most of the sites I went on now spell it NYJER. So in my naivety I though "Oh that must be the proper spelling then - funny I didn't notice that before" and made a mental note to change the way I spell it from now on. HOW STUPID of me!  RedFaced:-(

It's a stupid bloody Americanism that's come about because of the connotations associated with 'Niger' (forgetting that the non politically correct word is actually spelled with a double 'G' and is quite acceptable to use - as long as you are of Negroid extraction otherwise you get accused of being a rabid racist!).

SO bird seed suppliers have decided to use the made up word 'Nyjer'! Have you heard of anything so blatantly stupid in your whole life? I honestly give up - I'm convinced there's a lunacy virus going about (that's probably originated in America) and it's infected the WHOLE of the western hemisphere of our planet. Not only does it cause lunacy, it also makes you become totally ignorant, childish, shallow and basically brainless and in the process every gram of common sense and intelligence based on basic education is sucked out of your head!  Angry:-{

You HAVE to read the following written by Karin Winegar - I agree so much with what she says that I could fall in love and marry her!!!  ROL :-))

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Re: Niger or Nyjer?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »

I started my post using niger then saw your reply and thought I must have spelt it wrong. I checked the rspb site thinking they must know the correct spelling and there it was - nyjer. I then re-edited all my posts to use nyjer and not niger.

Now I know the truth, thanks G! I have re-edited my posts to use the correct spelling niger!!!!

So does that mean that niger seeds are to be found in Nigeria? Or am I getting confused with something else. Perhaps they should rename it Nyjeria to avoid further confusion!

Wonky.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »

clap:-)

dimogga

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »

Niger is

Niger seeds
Common names include: noog/nug (Ethio-Semitic ኑግ nūg); niger, nyger, nyjer, or Niger seed; ramtil or ramtilla; inga seed; and blackseed, khursani in marathi Gujitilin Assamese

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »

Niger is

Niger seeds
Common names include: noog/nug (Ethio-Semitic ኑግ nūg); niger, nyger, nyjer, or Niger seed; ramtil or ramtilla; inga seed; and blackseed, khursani in marathi Gujitilin Assamese

You've REALLY done it now Di!  mad:-|
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »

It's actually a type of thistle grown in hot climes, which is probably why the finches, particularly the goldfinches, love them, as they virtually live of thistle heads or tearless. That aside, goldfinches actually prefer sunflower hearts to Niger seed.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Pages: [1]   Go Up