Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Niger seed feeders  (Read 103 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Niger seed feeders
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:55:20 PM »

I could be entirely wrong with this but I get the impression that under certain weather conditions regarding the way the wind is blowing that the niger seed is often sucked out of the feeder and ends up on the soil untouched by any bird. Bearing in mind that niger seeds are relatively expensive has anyone else noticed this happening and is there a solution to prevent it?

Wonky.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:18:29 PM by wonky »
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Niger seed feeders
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:42:21 PM »

I don't know if this helps Wonky. You say the nyjer seeds get "sucked out" is it a case of being sucked out (as if by vacuum effect) or does the feeder get bounced around in the wind and spills the seed?

Wind is a problem with seed feeders. I have this seed feeder on my feeding station, and in strong winds it blows around and a lot of the seed is scattered out of it:

There are feeders on the market that are advertised specifically for nyjer seed. Whether it does away with the problem I don't know, because I've never tried one, check out this link:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »

It is a feeder specifically designed for use with niger seed. The holes for the seed are tiny. At the moment I'm of the opinion that it is vacuum related. I don't think the feeder would release much seed if it was simply swaying in the breeze.

I've yet to see one actually losing seeds. It's more a case of going to fill the feeders in a morning and finding the niger feeder empty with the seeds laying on the ground.

Wonky.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:16:47 PM by wonky »
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
Re: Nyjer seed feeders
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »

Strange! The answer to that is a night-time camera Wonky!! (Only joking). Have you kept an eye on it in the day - when it's windy? I can't see how a vacuum could be created that would suck the seed out, it's far more likely to be gravity aided by the wind jerking it about. But again it's odd that ALL the seed gets emptied.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »

I got 2 nyger feeders.....a big one....and a little one that was going cheap.....but they only leave a few seeds on ground....but have noticed the goldfinches not eating so much nyger at mo seem to be preferring sunflower hearts.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I got 2 nyger feeders.....a big one....and a little one that was going cheap.....but they only leave a few seeds on ground....but have noticed the goldfinches not eating so much nyger at mo seem to be preferring sunflower hearts.

Niger seeds are usually a magnet for goldfinches & siskins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up