Author Topic: Chervil.  (Read 362 times)

toptaff

Chervil.
« on: February 26, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »
What does chervil taste like?

Offline FoodieForager

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
Re: Chervil.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:59:37 PM »
Hi topstaff. Chervil I think tastes like parsley with a slight tarragon back note.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »
Found this if it helps ..
Chervil is an annual herb that looks similar to flat leaf parsley but with a finer stem and more delicate, almost wilting leaves.

It has a faint aniseed flavour and is one of the herbs used to make up the French herb mixture fines herbes. It is also reputed to aid digestion when turned into a tea.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:53:43 PM »
Here's a photo:

As you can see it looks almost identical to flat leaf (or Hamburg) parsley - in fact it is a member of the parsley family, but has a milder taste tinged with a lliquorice flavour.

As Scary says - very much a favourite with our French gardening friends.

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 08:42:39 AM »
Chervil is an annual herb that looks similar to flat leaf parsley but with a finer stem and more delicate, almost wilting leaves.

It has a faint aniseed flavour and is one of the herbs used to make up the French herb mixture fines herbes. It is also reputed to aid digestion when turned into a tea.

Bang on with that description, Scary. We use it a lot in salads. It is very easy to grow from seed but, for me at least, doesn't seem to like transplanting so sow in situe would be my advice. It looks ver similar to sweet cicely too and enjoys some of the same flavours. sweet cicely leaves are also very slightly furry in texture. but, whereas sweet cicely is perennial, chervil hates the frost and is annual.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
Will have to give that a try as it's something I have not had before. Good description but whether I will be able to taste it with my poor sense of taste will have to see.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »

Bang on with that description, Scary. We use it a lot in salads. It is very easy to grow from seed but, for me at least, doesn't seem to like transplanting so sow in situe would be my advice. It looks ver similar to sweet cicely too and enjoys some of the same flavours. sweet cicely leaves are also very slightly furry in texture. but, whereas sweet cicely is perennial, chervil hates the frost and is annual.

I'm hoping to grow some sweet cicely this year. Beats the hell out of artificial sweetners in apple pies that us diabetics are supposed to use!  what:-o

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
Well I might be able to help you out there, Gee. For the past 4 yers we have been using a herb in the garden that we have since found out may well be sweet cicely. I'm gonna get it checked out but if it is I'll split the root and send you some right over the Cambrians to Westerly Aberystwyth.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »
Well I might be able to help you out there, Gee. For the past 4 yers we have been using a herb in the garden that we have since found out may well be sweet cicely. I'm gonna get it checked out but if it is I'll split the root and send you some right over the Cambrians to Westerly Aberystwyth.

That's really kind of you Tommo! When they come over the Cambrians, tell them to veer to the left a bit, Aberaeron is 15 miles down the coast from Aberystwyth!!  lol(1)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:55:43 PM »
They was coming via the scenic route  cwl:-]..

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »
A little bit light headed after their thin air experience of coming over the Cambrian Mountains I expect!! Probably got a bit disorientated  lol(1)

toptaff

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »

Thanks for the infoScary Crow (and others who've tasted it & added their opinions!) I've got some growing....it's very pretty but as yet doesn't taste or smell of anything much. I'll keep it growing on though.I'm not overly keen on tarragon so something just faintly anisssedy soends great.