Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pickled onions  (Read 233 times)

rugbypost

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
pickled onions
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »

Bought some on Saturday looking for something to spice them up all replies  welcome. Or a couple of new recipes send them in lets see who does the best Pickles. chrs:-)

squirrel

Re: pickled onions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:26:59 PM »

Here is one of my favourites for shallots but you could use it for onions

Pickled Shallots

Ingredients
250g/9oz rock salt
2 litre/3 pint water
1.35kg/3lb shallots, peeled and trimmed
2 litre /3 pint white wine vinegar
1 tbsp each allspice berries, juniper berries, black peppercorns and mustard seeds
2 bay leaves
170g/6oz light muscovado sugar

large sterilised jars with screw top lids - prepare jars by washing in hot soapy water and leaving to dry and warm in a cool oven - 130C/250F/Gas for 10-15 minutes.

Method
I always plunge the onions/shallots in boiling water for 4 or 5 mins before peeling. I think it make them easier on the eyes and hands to peel.

1. Put the salt and water into a large saucepan, dissolve over a low heat and then leave the brine to cool.
2. Put the prepared shallots into the brine, weight down with a plate and leave in a cool place for 24 hours.
3. The next day put the vinegar and all the spices and sugar into a saucepan, bring to the boil and leave to infuse and cool.
4. Drain the shallots and carefully pack into the jars. Pour over the infused vinegar and the spices. Cover the jars with a screw top lid and leave in a cool dark place for 3-4 weeks before eating.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:49:19 PM »

What "Fluffy" is trying to tell you Mike is that you should hang your head in shame for buying them instead of growing & making your own!!!!!  >:D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

squirrel

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »

Mmmmmm   Blush:-(
I would love to be saying I grow my own onions for pickling, but hang my head in shame to say I don't know how as they always end up too big.

That's why I pickle shallots ....

But to save face I do make a mean pickled mixed veg.  :-Yes

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mmmmmm   Blush:-(
I would love to be saying I grow my own onions for pickling, but hang my head in shame to say I don't know how as they always end up too big.

That's why I pickle shallots ....

But to save face I do make a mean pickled mixed veg.  :-Yes

Have you ever tried the 'spring' onion variety Paris Globe or more commonly called Paris Silverskin squirrel? Another great pickling 'silverskin' is Onion de Paris. They bulb up to a pretty small white bulb - it's what the 'silverskin' pickles are made of. In fact most spring onions (like White Lisbon) will bulb up for you - if you leave them to mature. Other varieties you could try are: Barletta Silverskin, another great favourite is Giant Zittau (I know the 'giant' tag doesn't suit for pickling, but they make great pickling onions - try overcrowding them to keep the bulb size down), they've been bred for the job! Another one "bred for the job" is Brown Pickling sy300, it's what most commercial growers use to sell as pickling onions in autumn.

The real answer is shallots! Pick them early before they get too big. As you're not storing them by hanging them up on a rope - they don't need to mature & die down before you use them for pickling.

There we are - no more "head hanging" for you and Rugbypost!!!  ThU432:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

squirrel

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:58:12 PM »

Why thank you kind sir, I will certainly give it a try and look forward to using my own onions for next years pickling.

rugbypost

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »

Space Gwilym, all down to what I plant, and to honest what I can buy cheaper. Will ot be growing carrots, and Parsnips this year can get them in Aldi for 49p a packet I know they are not the same but I will turn that area over to Asparagus always wanted to grow it. There are a few other things that I will cut back on over the next few years, are there more like me cutting back and growing something else.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »

Space Gwilym, all down to what I plant, and to honest what I can buy cheaper. Will ot be growing carrots, and Parsnips this year can get them in Aldi for 49p a packet I know they are not the same but I will turn that area over to Asparagus always wanted to grow it. There are a few other things that I will cut back on over the next few years, are there more like me cutting back and growing something else.

A little thought for consideration Mike. One survey showed that lettuce you buy in a supermarket (probably extremely cheaply) has, on average, been sprayed with various herbicides & insecticides SEVENTEEN times before it lands on the shelf! Hence the reason it has not got one hole nibbled in it by snails & slugs. It looks gorgeous, is probably cheaper to buy than to grow & looks perfect. The big question is how much poison are you eating with each mouthful of that lovely looking (albeit tasteless) lettuce? The same applies to all the other veg on supermarket shelves. That's before you consider where it was grown & how many miles it travelled (probably by air) before it got there.

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »

Hi Ya, interesting, I have bought some shallots as I heard they were better for pickling. Golden Gourmet and Red Sun are the two varieties I went for in the hope of getting to pickle some. I like the recipe for pickling from squirrel and will give that ago. How long do you leave them before eating. I have picled some onions before but used Sarsons pickling vinigar. Will be a first for me growing shallots and pickling them. Happy gardening.

squirrel

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »

Hi Ya, interesting, I have bought some shallots as I heard they were better for pickling. Golden Gourmet and Red Sun are the two varieties I went for in the hope of getting to pickle some. I like the recipe for pickling from squirrel and will give that ago. How long do you leave them before eating. I have picled some onions before but used Sarsons pickling vinigar. Will be a first for me growing shallots and pickling them. Happy gardening.

I always do a little jar which I leave for a couple of weeks before trying. I do this because it saves the persistent shouts of 'are the onions ready yet'

They are usually nice by then but everyone agrees they could do with a bit longer. If I'm lucky they get about a month before we begin to use them but I always make sure there is some for Christmas and the New Year
Pages: [1]   Go Up