Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Permanent Pen for label marking  (Read 187 times)

dimogga

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Best Permanent Pen for label marking
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I see you've got that aspect of it covered then Wonky! DON'T lose your notebook whatever you do!  lol(1)

Oh that happens more often than I'm ever going to admit!

After my labelling disaster of using a waterproof pen that didn't turn out to stay waterproof I had to rely on the notes I'd made at the time.
And grovel to John and Ang on my plot who'd borrowed said pen to label their potatoes! :)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Best Permanent Pen for label marking
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 06:47:51 PM »

It's a pig when that happens isn't it? Same here - when the temptation to buy a so called 'permanent' marker overtakes you and you then realise why they vary in price. I did it last year with two trays of brassicas. I got my cauliflowers & sprouts mixed up - thanks to an invisible ink pen! It landed up being thrown out of my polytunnel at a great rate of knots followed by a few expletives!  Angry:-{

I'm still harvesting more sprouts than I can point a stick at - the cauliflowers were non existent on my plot. The damned things look so much alike when they're at the seedling stage. I use nothing but Staedtler pens now - expensive as they are. You'll notice they are the ones most nurseries use, and obviously for good reasons!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:26:42 AM »

Hi Ya, I ran a little test last season and I am surprised the pens you mention BG are what you swear by. I used them and they faded so you couldn't read them. I opted for another proper garden label pen from amazon and they are very good. I ran two labels side by  side and the pen from amazon stayed readable the other faded. My main mix up occurred with the dog and when asked what variety of cabbage were what I had to say no idea as the dog had chewed the labels from the trays. So I called them "surprise" cauli's and cabbage. Happy gardening

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »

I have tried all sorts in the past and  finally found these and have never been let down  with them yet.

I grow loads and maybe write up to 1000 labels per season...all on one pen.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »

I've got a couple of those 'Sharpie' pens Tommo - they sell them for a £1 each in Morrisons. They were the ones that faded on me last year! Do you find them OK? Unless the ones sold in Morrisons as 'permanent' markers are not the same as the ones you've used.

I've found the Staedtler ones good - but there again you have to be careful, because the same manufacturer often sells a range of pens and not all are as good as each other.

I think I'll start a new thread dedicated to permanent markers so that we can get feedback from all our members!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »

We need to find a good marker pen that stays good through wind , rain and sun especially  for our wonky who has got several different varietys of spuds to sow this season ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »

There we are - I've just split the topic. Now do tell us what your marker pen of choice is!  ThU5:-)

wonky

• Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:19:42 PM »

especially  for our wonky who has got several different varietys of spuds to sow this season ..

No marker pen for me! Notebook, pencil and a simple sketch do it for me. Absolutely no labels to worry about. However I do have a Brother Ptouch printer which I use for marking up electrical equipment (at work). I'm looking at using it to make labels for seed trays so again no marker pens to worry about.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:59:33 PM by wonky »
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

dimogga

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:54 AM »

At the community garden I put seed packets on the beds and took photos.
For some reason I didn't have a packet of labels in my coat pocket! No idea how that happened.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:49:54 AM »

For some reason I didn't have a packet of labels in my coat pocket! No idea how that happened.

I always find that the labels I usually carry around in my coat pocket, due to Sod's Law usually land up in the coat I'm not wearing when I need them!

On the marker pen front. A pencil is sometimes better than a marker pen. A 2B or 4B pencil works a treat, lasts longer & doesn't dry up!

dimogga

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »

Yup the wilko labels come with a tiny pencil.
I got a few packets in their sale.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »

I always find that the labels I usually carry around in my coat pocket, due to Sod's Law usually land up in the coat I'm not wearing when I need them!

On the marker pen front. A pencil is sometimes better than a marker pen. A 2B or 4B pencil works a treat, lasts longer & doesn't dry up!

Oh yes I know all about pencils got quiet a few of them hanging about here  cwl:-]  ..We have a marker pen thats pretty good dont know what make it is not got it here it,s in the shed on the plot if i remember i,ll see what it is and report back ...
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

squirrel

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 11:24:30 PM »

I've tried several marker pens at several prices and they have all faded especially in the sun. Even the printed labels that came with the spuds faded last year. so far I've also found a pencil has been better especially if you rough the surface up a little. I have also tried the black labels with the white marker pens and they did seem to work, but a bit expensive, I'm hoping they will come down in price.

HAGD :-)
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »

I think I have tried them all the so called permanent markers, if you can find one that says fade proof they're pretty good. I've ended up using grease pencils (China Markers) lasts forever and can be scrubbed off with a bit of Comet or such if you want to reuse the label. I use a pencil  on tags in the greenhouse, again these can be erased and reused.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »

I think the old fashioned (soft lead) pencil is the most reliable. Grease pencils sound like a good idea too - although I've never tried them, maybe it's time to give them a go. They certainly sound like the ideal marker for the garden.

A little tip when using labels - you can recycle them by rubbing the blade of a penknife across the surface to scrape away last year's scribblings. A nice little job with a cuppa in the polytunnel/ greenhouse, when it's too wet or cold to do anything else. It also makes the surface nice and absorbent for the next batch of scribblings!

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »

I tend to agree with Annette that China markers are good. I've always known of them as chinagraph pencils. One draw back is that they cannot be kept sharp in fact they can't be sharpened so very difficult to do fine writing. They are not made from wood like normal pencils. The core is wrapped in a spiral of paper which is unwound to reveal more of the writing tip.

Wonky.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »

Doesn't a pencil sharpener or a penknife work on them?

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 12:03:58 PM »

Just so happens that I have a pencil sharpener and China marker to hand. With care it is sharpening it but it's tending to remove big lumps from the tip. But with care it can be done. A sharp knife will put a tip on the pencil but it needs that paper unwinding first. I also have a sharp vegetable knife to hand but it's struggling to cut through the paper.

Wonky.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:26:35 PM by wonky »

Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »

I always sharpen a china pencil with a scalpel.....but use several pens....sharpies for my big labels staedtler for my small.....I have to label up or I get muddled up.

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 11:09:38 PM »

Another pen worth trying is one that I use for marking up terminal rails in electrical control panels. My understanding is that this pen actually etches into the surface of the plastic so ought to be reasonably permanent!

The pen is supplied by Weidmüller with the reference STI-S. It is described as being waterproof and fade resistant. Should be available from most electrical wholesalers,  rs components and Farnell.

I will do a few labels with one and see how they perform.

Wonky.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up