Author Topic: How Sunday mornings should be spent  (Read 524 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
How Sunday mornings should be spent
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »
Well I actually went down the plot this morning. It was a gorgeous morning here, and I'm so pleased I did, a tad cold on the hands - washing soil off the celeriac & the swedes but actually pleasant enough to strip off my overcoat and woolly cap! It was 80oF in the polytunnel - can you believe that?! Amazing!

Picked a plastic trugful of sprouts - that's the last of them. Had some for dinner the rest will  go in the freezer now. Also dug up a few swedes - they were also a lot nicer than the last lot, now that they've had a bit of frost. Also lifted half a dozen leeks and a couple of celeriac roots. They went down a treat mixed with the potato mash!

It's definitely a slight trend towards spring and the barometer is straining at the top end of high pressure, so I guess there's a few days of this. At this rate Big Bertha may get her first outing of the year before the end of the week. The poor love has been waiting patiently in the polytunnel for me since last autumn. Makes your heart a little glader, and for me it blew away a few cobwebs that have gathered over the last few weeks with the problems we've had.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: How Sunday mornings should be spent
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:03:53 AM »
Good to hear that you had a enjoyable time at the plot think i will be venturing to mine this week if it stays nice ..     Hopefully our rotovator will be seeing daylight never even took it out of the shed last year as it was too muddy on the path to the plot to be able to get it there so fingers crossed it will be ok this year  if we dont manage to use it this year it will be going up for sale as it seems silly to keep it if we cant get to use it ...  So lets hope the weather men are correct and this weeks going to be better ...

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
Good to hear that you had a enjoyable time at the plot think i will be venturing to mine this week if it stays nice ..     Hopefully our rotovator will be seeing daylight never even took it out of the shed last year as it was too muddy on the path to the plot to be able to get it there so fingers crossed it will be ok this year  if we dont manage to use it this year it will be going up for sale as it seems silly to keep it if we cant get to use it ...  So lets hope the weather men are correct and this weeks going to be better ...

Can't you build a small secure shed to keep it in on your plot Scary? To save you having to drag it through mud to get there.

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:27:10 AM »
Hi Ya, similar experience for me on Sunday aswell. I took a load of veggie peelings and with the six bags of horse muck I got some 4 weeks ago mixed up a batch of compost. Looks like there may be a rat in it though. The sun came out and it was quite pleasent as I haven't been able to get there for some time due to lousy weather. I haven't sown a thing in the greenhouse yet and I am on hot bricks wanting to get going but am holding off. Don't want to go to early. Anyway pulled a few carrots and leeks. My leeks always seem skinny and look nothing like the packet. Still taste ok. Did a bit of weeding. My sprouts have all but blown so they were chopped up into the compost bin. The kale I grew though is lovely and tasty. Only had a couple of hours but chatted with several plotters I know who also had not been down. Did some seed swapping so all is going nicely. The weeds seem to be looking sad as I think all this frost and cold has taken it's toll on them. With the frost working the ground wasn't pratical as it's to sticky. Really enjoyed it though and looking forward now the days are finally getting longer. Happy Days.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »
Snap! same here Lottieguy. I forgot to mention that I also took two binfuls of kitchen waste down for my compost bins - a long overdue job, as it was getting a bit hairy trying to stuff more in there! It also did me a load of good to go down yesterday it rekindled my enthusiasm. Seeing things gradually moving towards the spring frenzy is great isn't it? Something positive to look forward to. What picked my spirits up mostly was seeing the temperature in my polytunnel yesterday - a sure sign the sun is getting stronger.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 03:50:07 PM »

Can't you build a small secure shed to keep it in on your plot Scary? To save you having to drag it through mud to get there.

A few growers have tried that before but sadly thieves venture from elsewhere to make money by stealing other peoples stuff ... spf:-(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:52:15 PM by scary crow »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »

A few growers have tried that before but sadly thieves venture from elsewhere to make money by stealing other peoples stuff ... spf:-(

Ever considered something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acorn-5210A-Wildlife-Standard-Infrared/dp/B00873DB5S

Better than selling your rotovator!

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 05:41:27 PM »

Ever considered something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acorn-5210A-Wildlife-Standard-Infrared/dp/B00873DB5S

Better than selling your rotovator!

There good but that would just mean i had a picture of my thief .

and you know what the old bill are like they dont even do anything when you have the culprits standing beside you .. lol(1)  Not used it for 2 years and managed to still grow things ..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:45:07 PM by scary crow »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 09:25:28 PM »
Hmmm I have experience of that - as you know. That was last March, now it's 11 month later and I'm still waiting for the CPS to set a hearing date! And that was a case where two police officers were actually watching the criminal damage taking place!!!  what:-o

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
Yes and still they have done nowt so wouldent have much chance with a picture of a thief ....  The fuzz always seem to be too busy to deal with what they call minor crime ...  II months and still no joy do you think they will ever prosecute them or has it been brushed under the carpet ..?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:03:26 PM by scary crow »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
Oh no, they are prosecuting, the investigating officer let us know that the CPS have made the decision to proceed after viewing the file that was passed on to them by Plod. It's just a time thing, they don't hurry for anyone. Mind you Plod had to be cattle prodded into doing anything and only did so when they got a copy of a letter that was to be sent to the IPCC - they didn't like that & woke up!

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
Well thats good to hear that they are going to pprosecute them eventually ...

Well today i had a walk to the plot had a chat with the local farmer on the way only see one other grower there he was delivering some posts to repair his front fence as the posts had rotted off ... I had a look about all ok pulled some leeks not as big as last year but still useable then had a walk back as i was due some pills and had to go shopping ...

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »
Oh yes very good news - but they're painfully slow about it. I can't wait for the big day - I've got a damages claim in, that the CPS are also dealing with and applying for during the hearing.

I went down the lottie today too - to cut some scion wood that I'd promised Tommo. Whilst I was there I packed up the last debris net brassica tunnel that was still up, as the last of the greens under it have now been harvested. I felt as weak as a kitten when I got home - this cold is a real weakener.

I can't complain about my leeks - I'm very pleased with them, the biggest problem is going to be getting through them all before I need the patch they're on.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:45:07 PM »
Well it,s good to hear there doing what needs to be done will make those fools think twice before attempting something like that again ...   Yes that,s the only problem when all the leeks get big you struggle to get through them in time we had very good leeks last year so did the neighbours as we had to give them away as we had too many ....

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 09:47:41 PM »
A bed of leeks don't look much when they're pencil sized and planted out. EVERY year I keep on saying I'm going to throttle back, and every year I have too many again!

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »
Thats it cant see the picture of the final outcome when your planting them out .. lol(1)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:31 AM »
Exactly, they look so meagre you're always putting more in than you need - even though you've gone through the same process for years! A case of poor imagination!  mad:-|