Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Birds on the allotment  (Read 415 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Birds on the allotment
« on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:24 AM »

Following on from the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch 2015 this is the list of birds that were seen on the allotment on Sunday 25th January 2015:

1 - Blackbird
2 - Blue tit
1 - Carrion crow
2 - Dunnock
2 - Goldfinch
1 - Great tit
6 - House sparrow
2 - Robin

wonky
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:27:44 AM by wonky »
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: Birds on the allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:32:20 PM »

Funny that we get loads of birds at the plot but never seen a sparrow there gets loads at home in the front garden on the feeders but never on the plot ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:29 PM »

First time I've missed the Great Bird Watch. Never mind, there is always next year. We have a great bird population down here. From Sparrowhawks that use my feeders as their own personal fast food outlet to wrens to tree creepers, fieldfares, goldfinches, nuthatches as well as the usual, more common ones.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:22:23 PM »

I find thats the only problem with bird feeders is that eventually the sparrow hawk uses it as a takeaway a few of our neighbours have always fed the birds in there back garden well untill the sparrow hawk discovered there was a constant supply of fresh meat there now they have put there feeders in the front garden so the birds get to feed for a while before there discovered again ...
We feed them in our front garden when mr hawk arrives he scares them into hiding then we fill a lrge feeder and put it into the middle of our conifers where they can feed without him tearing them to pieces ..

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »

On the plot this morning:

1 Reed Bunting

Not seen one of those on the plot before.

Wonky.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »

I've never come across a reed bunting, but I'm probably not in an ideal reed bunting environment here by the sea. They like reed beds and they're predominantly a farmland and wetland/ moorland  bird so they tend to favour poorly drained more upland habitats don't they? Apparently the south west of England - especially Devon is the best place to find them.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »

On the fat balls this morning:

2 - Long tailed tits

Wonky.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »

On the fat balls this morning:

2 - Long tailed tits

Wonky.

Had a couple of those in my front garden a few days ago and while walking yesterday see about 5 of them going through the hedgerows ..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:13:52 PM by scary crow »

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »

On my fat balls this morning (that's the ones in the garden that I'm referring to - for any dirty minded members out there!  what:-{) There are CROWS! The damned things, along with squirrels that are going frantic on the peanut feeders, are a flaming nuisance.

Never underestimate the intelligence of corvoids - along with the squirrels - they are a challenge for humans in the thinking department and whatever problem you cause for them they seem to work out a solution.

We also have a good number of all varieties of tits including long tailed, coal & great tits (no I'm not referring to Lord Haw-Haw there!  CW ;-)).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 02:59:43 PM »

Right now Ive got a gang of starlings on the fat balls......4 huge wood pigeons.....strutting about checking the edges.....pigeons and collared doves pecking furiously at the sparrow food....very small seeds. The sparrows land in round the edges......very skittish......the blue tits...dart straight to the feeders whereas the sparrows flit about with random logic. Oh and a handsome black bird. Goldfinches....robin....quite a few for a London patch.

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again having bee victim to incessant squirrel damage:

Squirrels = Target Practice

If they aren't on my nuts and fatballs, ( one word, Gee ), they invade the sheds and chew up anything going. I still haven't eaten one, as suggested on this site, but soon maybe.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »

Nice meat squirrel but must be a shot one or trap but not a live catch trap victim as it stresses them too much ...
We are lucky and dont get them on our feeders as they can cause so much damage ..  Had a good selection of birds the past few days visiting the feeders had blue ,great and long tailed tits a robin who has learnt to hang on the fatballs and feed he only use to creep around under the feeders collecting the fallen crumbs a pair of blackbirds , dunnocks ,collard doves and loads of sparrows they seem to be feeding well maybe they know more about the coming weather than we do good to see them coming and doing so well and great to hear the dawn chorus every morning ..  Had a walk the other day and see a kingfisher wizz past and sods law never had the binoculars with us ...

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »

I remember my grandfather telling me when I was a little boy, that the reason why St. Valentine's day was the day that courting couples celebrated was because that was the day the little birds started courting. It was a bit tongue in cheek, but with more than a gram of sense applied to it. I wouldn't believe him - because he had a habit of teasing with silly remarks like that, but he told me to pay attention in future to see if he was telling the truth. I did, and without fail, every year, around the second week of February, I noticed that the birds actually DO start singing and becoming more active! Last week I noticed sparrows collecting bits to line their nests, and again my old Dadcu's words came back to me a good half century after he first told me! As Scary mentioned, the 'dawn corus' is now almost in full swing every morning. So yes it IS around St. Valentine's day that the little birds start their courting antics (in our neck of the woods at least).

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »

Not a bird in sight this morning but an awful lot of noise from the hedge and nearby trees so I think as you say G courting is in full swing at the moment. A glorious day for it too.

Wonky.

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »

Pleased to report that a Blue Tit has taken up residence in the box that is screwed to the corner of the shed!  CThUpD:-)

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »

Could be wrong yet but I don't think it's a blue tit.  I've only had a couple of glimpses as it disappears into the nest box but it's looking more like being a great tit.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:27 AM »

Could well be a Great Tit - although I would have thought they would need a slightly bigger entrance hole than the ones usually used for Tit boxes.

Your next step will have to be a miniature IR camera so that you can 'stream' the show to us on here!  CW ;-)

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 10:53:15 PM »

Absolutely no doubt now at all - it is a Blue Tit that is nesting in the box on the shed. With only getting fleeting glimpses of its back end as it disappeared into the box I was getting confused by the similarity of the colour of its back to that of a Great Tit. Now I have seen it more clearly a Blue Tit it is.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 01:28:47 AM »

I thought it might be. Blue Tits are usually the ones attracted to tit nest boxes. Any chicks?

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »

The two adult birds are constantly flying into the box with beaks full of food - so yes there are chicks but no idea how many. Might just get lucky and see them fledge and do a count then.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up