Author Topic: Trying something different  (Read 661 times)

Offline aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Re: Trying something different
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
What came in the post this morning put a smile on my face and a spring to my step, didn't think the later could even happen anymore :). I finally have some Yacon, I ordered 6, they sent 8 caudices, they were in excellent condition each had several eyes already developing. "Original" is the variety name of the one sent, it's been propagated in the PNW for the last couple of decades. Said to be a prolific producer of tubers that cure up deep red skin with red flesh around the edges. Needless to say I whipped out to the greenhouse and potted them up.  This is going to be a learning experience for me but hey, who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks ;D.
Annette

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »
  This is going to be a learning experience for me but hey, who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks ;D.
Annette

For sure!  CThUpD:-)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 08:55:09 PM »
Many a new trick been learnt by a old,un ..

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 09:31:01 PM »
Anyone tried Snake Gourd?

If you want to grow a real talking point, try these edible Asian gourds: with their long, twisting green fruits, you can see where they got their name. In Bangladesh these rampant vines clamber up trees: they're more restrained in a cooler UK climate, but can still put on a staggering amount of growth. The fruits taste like squash, and the shoots are delicious too – steam them like spinach or use them in stirfries.

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
What came in the post this morning put a smile on my face and a spring to my step, didn't think the later could even happen anymore :). I finally have some Yacon, I ordered 6, they sent 8 caudices, they were in excellent condition each had several eyes already developing. "
Annette

I seemed to have missed this post Annette. I am delighted for you, they are a lovely addition to the kitchen. Did you manage to get hold of some oca? I have some spare tubers if you need me to send you some now the weather has warmed up.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 11:26:59 AM »
I often miss posts when I go AWOL - seems like all the interesting posts are stored up until I disappear!  ROL :-))

Same goes for you it seems!  CW ;-)

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
Thanks Tommy, I did manage to find some Oca, a fellow at our seedy Sunday was selling tubers so I bought 3 to try. they're up and growing well in a 15 gallon tub. I also bought some Oca seed from   https://www.cultivariable.com/catalog/oca/   in the states to see if I could get a different variety. Must have done something wrong as I only got one seed to germinate and that one seed took an awfully long time to do so in damp paper towel. I threw the rest of the ungerminated seed in my Oca tub just in case it's still viable.
The Crosne and Yacon are also in tubs, this way I can move them to the greenhouse if need be in the fall to finish off.
Thinking the Skirret seed was going to be iffy germinating I sowed the whole packet of seed, not so, I now have a whole flat full of small plants, I'll keep half a dozen and take the rest to our garden clubs plant sale later this month.

It's back to planting out more beans today, I'm about half way there. Environment Canada said on the news last night that it looked like we were in for a hotter summer this year so I've been rummaging through my seed stash looking for a couple of yard long beans given me, one a pole, one a bush. They just might make it if we have a hotter summer than usual.
Annette