Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Potato Weekend - Horticentre Overton  (Read 406 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Potato Weekend - Horticentre Overton
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:20:17 PM »

Potato Weekend
Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th January 2015

At the HortiCentre, New Road, Overton, Wakefield, WF4 4RG | Telephone: 01924 280306

Over 50 varieties of Seed Potatoes.
         All varieties sold loose during the weekend.
         Very competitive prices.
         Potato tasting on both days from 11am to 3pm.
         Advice and leaflets.

It looks like they will be selling the following 53 varieties (as long as stocks last):

EARLIES
Arran Pilot
Pentland Javelin
Rocket
Swift
Red Duke of York
Foremost
International Kidney
Sharpes Express
Winston
Lady Christl
Maris Bard
Casablanca
Duke of York
Dunluce
Sherine
Ulster Prince

SECOND EARLIES
Nadine
Kestrel
Charlotte
Marfona
Estima
Wilja
Nicola
Maris Peer
Saxon
British Queen
Carlingford
Blue Kestrel
Shetland Black
Vivaldi
Anya
Apache
Innovator
Osprey

MAINCROP
Pentland Squire
Desiree
King Edward
Pink Fir Apple
Picasso
Maris Piper
Romano
Sarpo Mira
Cara
GoldenWonder
Blue Belle
Orla
Setanta
Amour
Sante
Majestic
Rooster
Isle of Jura
Purple Majesty
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato Weekend - Horticentre Overton
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:22 PM »

Had our potato  sale last saturday the organisers had e,mailed all the local councils to get them to inform there allotments it was packed with people and some varietys had sold out within 10 minutes of them opening the doors im glad i got there early ....
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:36:01 PM »

It seems that the stampede has started! I was in town today and one of the shops that sell seed potatoes were rushed off their feet! They were stacked outside & people were jostling each other to grab what they wanted - amazing. It's not even the end of January yet.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:37:44 PM »

Maybe theres more people growing them now even if they dont have a plot and just do a few in the potato bags in the garden or on a patio ....

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:41:37 PM »

Possibly, I think that there will be a lot more people attempting to grow their own this year - they've been spooked by all the prophets of doom saying they're all going to starve in this recession & shops like Tesco are creaking. Very easily spooked your average Joe Public.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:45:33 PM »

Yes but also i think some people have tasted produce given to them by  us growers when we get a glut and realised that there is food out there that tastes good ...

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:50:24 PM »

Yes but also i think some people have tasted produce given to them by  us growers when we get a glut and realised that there is food out there that tastes good ...

Keep on evangelising the word & spread around the spuds I say!  CThUpD:-)

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 11:51:16 PM »

It's not even the end of January yet.

Hmmmm that's the bit that worries me!

Last year my 1st earlies were planted 23rd March
2nd earlies 9th April
Main crops 24th April

I seem to recall that mine just missed the late frosts whereas my neighbour who planted a couple of weeks earlier had his severely knocked back by the late frosts.

Wonky.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:51 PM »

It's not even the end of January yet.

Hmmmm that's the bit that worries me!

Last year my 1st earlies were planted 23rd March
2nd earlies 9th April
Main crops 24th April

I seem to recall that mine just missed the late frosts whereas my neighbour who planted a couple of weeks earlier had his severely knocked back by the late frosts.

Wonky.

I know - it's that old 'hare & tortoise' syndrome Wonky. People fall for it every year like clockwork. There won't be any spuds in the soil before the middle of April here. The last thing you need is haulms peeping out and then turning black with the cold.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »

Well our spud sale was earlier this year but my spuds will not be going in untill april as we live in the lowest place in britain and suffer badly from the late frost last year several on our site were caught out ..

dimogga

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »

Quote from: Big Gee link=topic=1350.msg14755#msg14755 date=1421970951

[size=12pt
I know - it's that old 'hare & tortoise' syndrome Wonky. People fall for it every year like clockwork. There won't be any spuds in the soil before the middle of April here. The last thing you need is haulms peeping out and then turning black with the cold.[/size]

There are lots of people who start sowing early. Too early. And waste the seeds and time.

Someone I know started runner beans too early and had to have the monster plants in his house for months. It does them no good IMO.
Not that i use that as an excuse for being a bit late with stuff. :)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 12:59:36 PM »

I'm always surprised at how late you can get away with things. If you hit the sweet spot (and that's all down to the weather & how warm the soil is - because plants don't read calendars) then you can often be much later sowing & planting than the experts recommend and often find your crops overtaking those sown a month to six weeks earlier. There is a limit obviously, but that limit is something you can push the boundry on, because it all boils down to the weather in a particular season. It is also often dependent on how long the season goes on for - I've seen things still cropping in November in some seasons.

Without a doubt the hares get caught out far more often than the tortoises!

Old Victorian gardeners never went by calendars, apparently one of the techniques they used was to drop their breeches in spring and sit in the seed bed soil with their bare bottoms to gauge how warm the soil was! NOT recommended on a modern allotment site these days though - unless you want a visit from Mr Plodd!  what:-o

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 01:12:21 PM »

If you do buy your seed potatoes now how do you keep them in good condition for planting in say April? 3 months is a long time to have them chitting on that bedroom windowsill.

Wonky.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 09:43:32 PM »

I just keep mine somewhere cool and dark and airy if they start chitting i rub them off they will reshoot again always done it that way they have always grown well when i was ready for them ..

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 10:19:42 PM »

That will do me Scary - thanks! All being well we will be up nice and early in the morning and see what they have to offer. It's only about 17 miles away, about 34 minutes, according to Google maps. Hopefully should be able to get something unusual to try. I'm thinking of 6 varieties each of 1st earlies, 2nd earlies and main crop so 18 varieties in total but only 1/2 dozen of each.

Wonky.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »

No problem wonky glad to be able to help ...  Yes get there early if our potato sale was anything to go by it was packed with growers ..  Yes sounds like a good idea to try a few of each variety  to find types that you like I try to get a few different types each year to try and see if i can find other spuds i like remember to label them well so you know what you are eating ...  Good luck at the sale and keep us updated with what you buy and through the growing season as to what they grew and tasted like ...

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 09:30:16 AM »

Hi Ya, the East Anglian potato day is being held at Stonham Barns on the 14th Feb. I only grow a couple of rows of earlies usually but this am considering a couple of main crop rows this year. Desiree seems to have a good rep and blight record so maybe try them. I would go to potato day but nearly 35 miles away, they charge by the tuber, 12p each last year, but what puts me off is the entrance fee of 1.50. It's not a huge affair but passable and if the fee was 50p to a 1 I may go. I only need 40 tubers of earlies and the same of maincrop so it is not really viable for me to travel the distance. I also object, as previously mentioned, to being jostled, pushed about, people pushing in, most with the me me me me attitude and no consideration for others. The organisers do try and they give their time freely at no cost and I can't praise them enough. I know one of the volunteers and she told me they set up the day before for a couple of hours and on the day people are queueing  well before the opening time and she said about a 100 last year. When they open it's pandemonium. She said everyone pushing and shoving. Love to go but I'm afraid not for me but good luck to the Suffolk Organic gardening society and well done. Happy gardening.

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »

We arrived at the Horticentre about 9.30 am and we're the only ones there! We had an easy time selecting 18 different varieties which were all priced at 20p per seed. Of the 53 varieties in their price list only 'Ulster Prince' was missing - apparently due to crop failure. The main event of their potato day was a tasting session which didn't start until 11.00am which was the main focus of their advertising - so at a quick glance it looked like the potato day didn't start until 11.00 whereas in reality it started at 9.00am when the shop opened. Moral - always read the small print!

Anyway we left the shop about 10am clutching 5 each of the following varieties:

1st earlies:
International Kidney
Winston
Lady Christl
Casablanca
Dunluce
Sherine

2nd earlies:
Saxon
British Queen
Blue Kestrel
Shetland Black
Apache
Osprey

Main Crop:
Pink Fir Apple
Golden Wonder
Blue Belle
Orla
Isle of Jura
Purple Majesty

Should be fun and hopefully some tasty ones amongst them!

Wonky.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »

Good selection there wonky I grew those british queen last year they are  a good spud  ThU5:-)  ...   Lucky you reading the small print and getting there when the place was virtually empty  clap:-)  ..  Everywhere seems to be different regarding prices lottyguys localish sale charges 12 p per spud yours was 20 p per spud our sale it was one pound per kilo .  You will have to keep some kind of record of how they grow yield and taste and let us know all about them ..

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »

Hi Ya, well done Wonky. I would be more likely to go to ours if it were closer. Went on a visit to the favourite garden centre yesterday the seed spuds were 3.99 for 2 kilo. I bought a bag of Maris Bard and one of Desiree. Never grown a main crop before so here's hoping. Happy Gardening
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up