Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few days on the plot.  (Read 190 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
A few days on the plot.
« on: December 01, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »

At long last I have had a good old bonfire and disposed of all the broken window frames, doors, rotten planks, broken pallets, tree trunks etc left behind by previous tenants of the plot. Something very satisfying about a hot fire on a cold autumn day!

The ashes have been riddled and spread across the one side of the plot followed by a cubic yard of well rotted horse muck and all lightly dug over. Looking forward to some really hard frosts to break up all the lumps now and hopefully see off some of the slugs that have been such a problem this year.

In the meantime managed to break the wheelbarrow but armed with a cordless drill and a few u-bolts it is now sturdier than it has been in quite a while and is ready for at least another seasons work.

wonky.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: A few days on the plot.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 01:27:36 AM »

Very satisfying a good clean up and bonfire the plots looking good there wonky what sort of growing season have you had this year ?
We had a good year considering it was very dry here has made up for the lack of rain the past few weeks the ground always seems to be wet now though one good thing is it stops all the leaves blowing around ...   
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »

your plot looks great wonky  CThUpD:-)
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

That plot of yours has come on in leaps & bounds since you first joined the Chat-Shed Wonky!

Good stuff wood ash especially for fruiting trees - full of potash.

Watching a bonfire brings out the primeval in us doesn't it?  lol(1)

Wood smoke from a bonfire is one of my favourite smells!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Mike_Young

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »

Good to see your plot looking so great Wonky, theres nothing so nice as seeing a freshly dug patch. As you say, lets hope theres some nice stiff frosts to complete the process :-)
Kind regards

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 12:57:30 AM »

Very satisfying a good clean up and bonfire the plots looking good there wonky what sort of growing season have you had this year ?

I think all in all its been a very mixed year. The two biggest problems have been blight on the potatoes outside / tomatoes in the greenhouse along with a massive invasion of slugs. Most of the potatoes did ok but maybe a dozen of the tubers had turned to something resembling custard! Still we have more than enough for our needs with 9 different varieties to choose from.

Yields on marrows, courgettes, pumpkins etc were considerably down on last year - but then how many of the things do you realistically need? As I recall it we had a very miserable start to June which set all the squashes back from which they never properly recovered. I probably set the seeds a little earlier than I should - but another lesson learnt! We had some good sweetcorn but I think that the summer weather took a turn for the worse so the yield was not as good as it should have been.

Beans and peas were much better than last year with the APS doing very well. Peas struggled a bit but I guess that was a mix of bird and slug damage.

Brassicas took a major hit from the slugs and the calabrese went straight to flower. However, the ground they are planted in is in very poor condition as a result of the damage inflicted by the builder that had the plot a few years ago. I can see it being a couple of years before I get it something like sorted.

Beetroot, turnips and the like failed on the initial planting because of bird damage. A second planting was netted so survived the birds but then took a hit from the slugs! Onions, shallots and garlic were also heavily attacked by the slugs. Leeks however are doing very well and are probably this years best crop.

I'm hopeful now that all the wood has been burnt and a lot of other rubbish disposed of that the slugs will have a much harder time next year - so onwards and upwards!!

wonky.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 01:21:10 AM »

That plot of yours has come on in leaps & bounds since you first joined the Chat-Shed Wonky!

To be honest that is the first time I've been able to look at that side of the plot and think it looks the business!

Just for the record this is what that piece of ground was like in February 2013. All that clay had been brought onto the allotment and buried along with all the rubble that can be seen on the path. That whole side had a layer of compressed clay buried under the surface which meant there was no drainage and the slightest amount of rain caused it to be water logged.

wonky.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 02:17:44 AM »

YOU have worked wonders mate! Give yourself a pat on the back!  clap:-)

Most people wouldn't have the stomach to take on a plot like that. Fantastic!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 07:54:45 AM »

Hi Ya, I am hoping for some time on the plot. Now the days of drawn in there is only the weekend and OH wants to go here and there. I did get a couple of hours on Sunday and am suprised how the weeds have grown, why can't my crops grow aswell as them. Happy gardening.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »

Hi Ya, I am hoping for some time on the plot. Now the days of drawn in there is only the weekend and OH wants to go here and there. I did get a couple of hours on Sunday and am suprised how the weeds have grown, why can't my crops grow aswell as them. Happy gardening.

The old weeds have made the most of the mild weather we've had this autumn. The grass seems to be thriving as well - mind you, my winter crops are doing very well this year. The Brussels sprouts seem to have done particularly well & the swedes seem better than usual - that's the joys of growing veg - no two years ever the same! But I've never seen a year that's been bad for weeds - they never fail  lol(1)

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »

Hi Ya, with you on that one, weeds never have a bad year. We have had caterpillar trouble and not being able to get on the plot they have decimated my greens. Allthats left are a few ribs and that is one week. we must of had an influx. Some I am hoping to recover but won.t get my hopes up. The others chopped up and put in the compost bin. The trials and trivulations us gardeners have to endure. Still love it though. Happy gardening

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 04:22:46 PM »

Have to agree with BG on that allotment Wonky you have done a miracle there managing to clear all that muck and getting it planted up the soil will improve with the time and care you give it ...   As for burning all that rubbish the slugs and snails have no where to hide now ...   Keep up the good work wonky   ThU5:-)  ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up