Author Topic: Fruit shots without the fuss of brewing  (Read 149 times)

Offline squirrel

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Fruit shots without the fuss of brewing
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »
If you want to make alcoholic drinks but don't have the time, space or equipment for brewing then why not make your own fruit liqueurs.
Take a large jar that has a tight fitting lid. One of those clip top preserving jars is just fine and most supermarkets sell them. I use a litre size jar.
Raspberry vodka is a good place to begin.

1 - Half fill the jar with fruit. I know there's not much around at the moment but frozen raspberries just fine
2 - Add 4 tablespoons of sugar put the lid on and gently turn the jar around and over to distribute the sugar over and around the raspberries
3 - Leave for a day or so
4 - Add the vodka. Don't be mean and fill the jar to an inch below the cap and gently shake. Not too vigorously as you don't want to break the fruit
5 - If you can leave the jar tilted at an angle then just give it a quarter turn each day. Otherwise just invert the jar a few times and replace in the upright position
6 - Once you are sure all the sugar has dissolved put the jar in a dark place for a few weeks
7 - Take out and taste occasionally and add more sugar if wished.
8 - Once you are happy with the flavour strain the fruit carefully
9 - Use this as an adult fruit desert
10 - Bottle the flavoured vodka and drink as desired either on its own, diluted with tonic or lemonade or as a special treat let it drip down the inside of a glass of sparkling wine to settle at the bottom to make an eye catching party drink

PS; I have so much of this fruit that I dry some of it to use in rich fruit cakes, I freeze some to use as a desert and I make a simple syrup and bottle some in small amounts so I have instant deserts or gifts if friends arrive unexpectedly.

Once you have mastered this technique you are ready to move forward and fill your cocktail cabinet with all sorts of liqueurs at a fraction of the cost of those shop bought ones.

If anyone is interested I will happily share my recipes that myself and friends have deemed as so successful that they tell me they would be disappointed if they didn't get a bottle or two as their Christmas present.

Enjoy

squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Fruit shots without the fuss of brewing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
Brilliant recipe Squirrel - and very timely - considering the time of year! (Bet you have good parties up in Sherwwod Forest! No wonder they were called Robin Hood & his band of MERRY men!!)  ;)

Keep them coming!  chrs:-)

Offline squirrel

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
Oooooooh way past the partying age now big gee. But so love to have a couple of friends around for a meal.

Since having the allotment I don't buy many presents at all. I make up little hampers and I am always on the outlook for recipes and drinks to make them special and out of the ordinary.

I look forward to this recipe section blossoming and bearing a great harvest. ThU32:-)
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
Me too - I've got a few recipes to add myself but I haven't got round to it yet. I've been a bit tied up getting this forum on it's feet. Still it's a long winter . . . I'll have to fence off a bit of time to write them out.

I wouldn't have thought you need to go out of the house to 'party' squirrel - with all that home-made booze you've stached away!! Perhaps we're too old to dance the night away - but who needs to waste energy when you can sit down & demolish your own wine?
  Grin2:-)