Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawthorn Berry Recipies  (Read 63 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Hawthorn Berry Recipies
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:20:35 AM »

There are many Hawthorn Berry Recipes hinted at on the Free Food/Foraging section so I thought I would kick of a thread with this one.

Ruth made a Rivercottage recipe about 3 years ago called 'Haw Sin Sauce'. It's their take on hoysin sauce and is actually very good. Trouble is, I suppose, there is a tendency to make a largish batch that you are stuck with for years unless you use a lot every week, and what, with all the other sauces and chutneys we just have to make, the cupboards end up with aged preserves in them. I must try to make smaller quantities and try to use them all up this year.

Anyway here's the  recipe should you want to try it (I do recommend it):

Haw-sin Sauce

375g haws (hawthorn berries)
200g runny honey
250ml water
250ml cider vinegar
Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Wash haws in cold water and remove stalks. Cook in saucepan with water and cider vinegar for 45 minutes until soft. Sieve through metal sieve pushing through as much softened material as possible. Measure liquid. Clean saucepan. Return liquid to saucepan adding honey to liquid in equal volume (100ml:100g). Heat gently while stirring with wooden spoon until honey is dissolved. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes if you wish to reduce the amount of liquid and thicken the syup. Pour into hot, sterile bottles. Seal, label and date.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Pages: [1]   Go Up