Author Topic: Anyone for a fennel brew?  (Read 251 times)

Offline squirrel

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Anyone for a fennel brew?
« on: October 02, 2014, 12:03:35 AM »
My Florence fennel seems to have done quite well despite the dry conditions and the neglect. I have loads of it surplus ot requirements so I am thinking about making an alcoholic beverage with some of it, after all Anisette, Perno and many other drinks are aniseed flavoured.

I a pretty sure that Fennel Vodka would be Ok but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried brewing with fennel?
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Anyone for a fennel brew?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »
Sounds great to me Fluffy! I've got stacks of fennel (I've left it grow wild so that I can collect the seeds - which reminds me it's time to collect them).

Pity I'm a teetotaller! Alcohol does not agree with me anymore along with the medications I take at the moment. Now if you'd suggested that a few years back I'd be all ears!  lol(1)

Offline squirrel

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:43:15 PM »
I'm just thinking of my Christmas hamper pressies BG as this Council nonsense has put me way, waaaaaaaaaaay behind with any preserving this year.

For myself I'm fancying an aniseed flavoured syrup or cordial.

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
Back in 1975 I took myself off on a 6 week long hitch-hiking ramble around France, Italy and Switzerland, getting into all sorts of mischief - especially when encountering the dubious delights of Pastise and Absinthe - but I do remember a rather pleasant après dejeuner cocktail called Fenouillette. It is alcoholic (around 20 to 25% if memory serves) and is a sort of liquer. I wouldn't mind betting that if you got a cheap vodka and did some 'sloe gin' type steeping with fennel seeds and a few other ingredients you could come up with something. Then you share the recipe with all of us.

chrs:-)

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline squirrel

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »
I've decided to put that one to the test KT. I think it is more likely to be ready for Christmas than wine, and a lot less pfaff.

I will let you know how it goes.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »
. . . .  (around 20 to 25% if memory serves) . . . .
chrs:-)

At those levels it's a wonder your memory works at all Tommo!!

Offline squirrel

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
I chopped the fennel into small sections and macerated it in sugar for several days. Don't ask me how long as this is a make it up as I go recipe. I used a plastic demijohn as the mouth of the bottle is much wider than the glass ones.

The fennel and sugar mix produced an amber coloured syrup. The demijohn was about one third full of this mix. A litre and half of cheap vodka was poured over the mix and an airlock fitted as sometimes these brews will ferment even though spirit based.
This has produced a deep golden liqueur that is so smooth and anise like. Smooth enough to drink neat but does not go cloudy when mixed with lemonade to make a refreshing long drink.

I think it would be nice poured over ice cream too.

I'm pleased enough with this experiment to do it again and to use this as Christmas presents for special friends. On the look out now for pretty presentation bottles.

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
Can I be your special friend, then????Please.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline squirrel

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 10:43:14 PM »
You sure can Tommo, I expected this to be harsh like perno but it's more like a coloured anise de mono.

Sometimes I don't want to give them away as they are so nice, but I wouldn't give them if they were not. Also we are not real drinkers so I would have to stop making it due to surplus stock if I didn't give some away.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 11:28:30 PM »
I wish I could drink that  spf:-(

Especially as I had tons of fennel this year. I haven't drunk anything alcoholic for years - it stopped agreeing with me and gives me palpitations - even a couple of sips of wine starts it off, so it's obviously not good for my ticker!

I wonder how fennel would behave in a kombucha brew? I'll have to try that - does fennel have any anti bacterial properties I wonder?

Offline squirrel

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 02:25:38 AM »
I am thinking that I might try a cordial with it next year BG. I know it is supposed to have a diuretic element to the health properties but there is more than that according to this site.

http://www.homeremediesweb.com/fennel-health-benefits.php

I'm looking at the vodka soaked slices and wondering if it could be dried, powdered and used as a tea. I would think there is little alcohol left once it has been steeped in boiling water. I love aniseed like flavours, so it would be good to get the most I can out of the crop.