Author Topic: Meet Dr Stephen Hayes  (Read 343 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Meet Dr Stephen Hayes
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
Just to help kick-start this board into life, I thought I'd introduce you to Stephen Hayes (a medical Doctor - although he looks more like a farmer doesn't he?) A man after my own heart. Like me he gives things away freely. As I give away my Aeron Purple Star runner bean seeds, Stephen distributes scion wood from old heritage varieties of apple trees that he grows in his own rather extensive orchard (they say he looks a bit like me too - although I think he's a tad younger but has less hair & a smaller beard!!).

You can find a little bit more about him on this web page: https://www.csm.org.uk/speakers.php. If you're wondering I came across him whilst exploring the world of fruit tree growing and not the Creation Science Movement - although that is also a very interesting subject, for a non (organised) religion follower, but someone who likes to think he has an open mind!  Grin2:-)

Here are a few videos that I think you'll enjoy. If you find him on YouTube then you can subscribe to his channel and see all his videos.

Here he is with a few tips about collecting scion wood:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yb2Gk-EeKUs?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's a brief talk by him about the way he shares his passion amongst other growers. Good man and well principled, one of the 'givers' in this life, rather than a 'taker' - a great shame that the 'takers' outnumber the 'givers' by a ratio of about a 100:1. A great shame that they have not experienced the pleasure of 'giving', as "there is more joy in giving than there is in receiving". The same applies to forum members - don't you think?  CW ;-)

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DM41YXBWGuw?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:22:49 PM by Big Gee »

Offline Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Meet Dr Stephen Hayes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Takers and Givers...I remember that conversation.

These are excellent links, Gee, and most welcome in my house. Loads of food for thought there and bringing it all down to 4 basic ingredients:

A sharp knife
Some Wax
Some tape
Plenty of enthusiasm

Anyone wanting some heritage apple scions in the early part of the new year need only ask - I'll put up the names of the trees I have in my developing orchard just as soon as I can remember what I planted 4 and 5 years ago.
Now go build those orchards.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing