Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too much Kefir  (Read 181 times)

ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
Too much Kefir
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:23:28 AM »

This is probably my mind working overtime.  But if all is well in the body, could drinking Kifer upset the balance and end up with too much good bacteria.? Or is it perfectly safe to enjoy a daily pint glass smoothie to maintain good health?

I don't mind if you tell me I'm bonkers!! mad:-|
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Too much Kefir
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »

You are not bonkers, just careful, and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

I had a similar conversation with my son, Ben, in New Zealand this very morning on Skype. He has had a cycling accident and had cut/injured his leg. Having tried superglueing it together and developed an infection he had to go to the hospital where they pumped him up with anti-biotics, intraveinously, as it was spreading. He was telling me about how crappy the anti-biotics made him feel and that led the conversation on to how to boost his imune system. A ittle known fact (and they certainly don't tell you this in hospitals) is that taking anti-biotics not only attacks the infection to kill the bacteria causing the problems but it also destroys most of the gut flora and other beneficial bacteria in your body.

The gut flora etc is the basis/foundations of our imune system. Compromise that and you lay yourself open to other infections/viruses. So where the antibiotic does a fine job, in most cases, of halting infection it, paradoxically, opens you up to others by virtue of the fact that it compromises your natural immunites.

Anyway, back to Ben. I was suggesting to him that he gets hold of some live yoghurt/probiotic/prebiotic drinks to help re-establish/re-colonise the compromised gut flora to help with the healing process. He was worried that the antibiotic in his system would be 'diluted' by the incoming 'good stuff' and so not be able to kill off the original infection. I explained to him that, in fact, by boosting his depleted imune system the two elements work together, they complement each other, thus bringing about a better 'cure'.

But to answer your question, Laydybird, I am a firm believer that if your body is in good shape then it will simply self regulate and take what it needs out of what you put into it. It's sort of keeping the health bank full so that when some nasties try to invade you are ready to take them on. From my own experience I have found that I am now able to recognise the early symptoms of, say, getting a cold, but also notice that over the last two or three years since taking my daily 'supersmoothie' the virus doesn't seem to get a hold. Sure, I get the sniffles and a bit of a headache but it soon passes. The defences are always in place. Also, I notice that if I get a cut or nasty knock, they heal up so much quicker, too.

Now I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that I am immune to everything simply because I drink Kefir, I know I'm not and someday something will get through and 'have' me. But I do know that my general state of health and happiness is miles better than it was before I started using it (and Kombucha) daily. A key factor, I believe, is also your lifestyle with regard to the quality of the food you take in. I would say that getting the dodgy, agro-chemicals out of your body by adopting a more organic eating regime helps enormously too.

Anyway, I could go on and bore you until you fall asleep so I'll leave it at that. Drink your smoothie, feel good and be prepared.  XK
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:21 AM »

Thank you Tommy for the great info.  YRTB  deffo not boring!  Hope your son is fit and well soon.
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

Of possible interest to you both & certainly your son, Tommo, is this fact-file I produced explaining the benefits of kombucha & kefir, the hidden dangers of antibiotics, and why it is so important to maintain the correct gut flora & a balanced pH for your body's immune system and overall health/ well being. I know I'm preaching to the converted when it comes to you Tommo, but the information will be an eye opener for many others.

Click on the URL link below to read it. I think you will find it very interesting in the context of the posts you have put on here.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I hope your son is better soon Tommo, and suffers no future ill effects from his nasty experience. It's always an added worry when our family members are ill and so far away.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »

Why you should keep your gut healthy.

I think this interview goes a long way to nswering the question of whether you can have too much kefir:

<object width="640" height="385"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYJkS3ZBqos&fs=1&start="></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYJkS3ZBqos&fs=1&start=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »

B/G  I can't work out how to open the interview. All I have is a blank square with an x in one corner, I clicked on the x but nothing happened.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »

Oh! That's odd - I  don't know why that is. Try this ladybird:

<object width="640" height="385"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYJkS3ZBqos&fs=1&start="></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYJkS3ZBqos&fs=1&start=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

If you still don't get any joy then click on this hyperlink:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Don't forget it's an AUDIO interview & not a video, so the front image stays the same - you just listen!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:30:49 PM by Big Gee »

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »

A little footnote:

" Your gut is the frontline of your immune system, home to countless bacteria, both good and bad. These bacteria outnumber the cells in your body by at least 10 to one, and maintaining the ideal balance of good and bad bacteria forms the foundation for good health-physical, mental and emotional.

Nearly every disease originates in your digestive system. This includes both physical and mental disease. Once you heal and seal your gut lining, and make your digestive system work properly again, disease symptoms will typically resolve".

That is where the use of kefir (and kombucha) aids us to repair & protect the flora in our gut. It's also the reason why people who take kefir & kombucha regularly (alonside a properly balanced diet) feel a big boost to their health and a reduction in the symptoms of the ailments they suffer from due to toxin leaks into their systems through their compromised gut flora.

ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »

Thank you B/G got it now, very interesting!

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »

Spot on links there. Ive copied and pasted the info off Chat-Shed and emailed it Ben. It explained what I was trying to say a lot better than I did.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Pages: [1]   Go Up